I'm new and dont know what to do.

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Juggalo
Textkit Neophyte

I'm new and dont know what to do.

Post by Juggalo »

I want to learn Latin and I dont know anything about it and i was wondering if anyone knew any free down loads that would help?

Lumen_et_umbra
Textkit Member

Re:I'm new and dont know what to do.

Post by Lumen_et_umbra »

I would avoid free downloads if I were you. Wheelock's Latin 6th Edition is only $20.00; it is extensive; and it moves at a brisk pace, but it is not overwhelming. Using it for some time, I can honestly state that it is a fantastic resource from which to learn Latin.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

This site has free books which you can download. Just click on the Learn Latin link near the top of the page and choose a book. If you do choose to use one of these texts, beware that they are quite old and more difficult than modern textbooks. You can, however, feel free to ask questions in this forum, so you need not get intimidated by them.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito »

[quote author=benissimus link=board=3;threadid=449;start=0#3641 date=1060664664]<br />This site has free books which you can download. Just click on the Learn Latin link near the top of the page and choose a book. If you do choose to use one of these texts, beware that they are quite old and more difficult than modern textbooks. You can, however, feel free to ask questions in this forum, so you need not get intimidated by them.<br />[/quote]<br /><br />And to add to this, there are several people here who are using the D'Ooge book to teach themselves Latin, and are very happy with it.<br /><br />Kilmeny

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

[quote author=Lumen_et_umbra link=board=3;threadid=449;start=0#3640 date=1060664015]<br />I would avoid free downloads if I were you.[/quote]<br /><br />This is a first - advice to not download free books on free download site :-\ After posting this thread, I'm chilling out here: http://www.takemeaway.com/ !<br /><br />My advice, check out what Textkit has to offer on the Learn Latin page - D'Ooge's Beginners Latin Book is where you should start. ALSO check out Wheelock's which too is VERY good for beginners. Then choose the book that's right for you.<br /><br />One consideration is how you will check your work. Wheelock's is great because you can purchase a lesson book and there are other very good Wheelock sources on the Internet. D'Ooge doesn't have an answer key (a big problem) - but you can use the forum to ask for help and seek clarification.<br /><br /><br />jeff
Textkit Founder

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Well, Jeff here has done a phenomenal job; this site is great and its books are surprisingly brilliant albeit free! <br /><br />I am being educated solely by Dr. Benjamin L. D'Ooge's "Latin For Beginners" as are many others in this foro. <br /><br />If you finish this book you will not only have saved yourself some hard-earned cheddar but you will also be able to read Latin. It is simple. I keep on reiterating this fact: Latin For Beginners is all that one needs. It is simple(a most admirable achievement considering the relative complexity of Latin), increases in difficulty at a comfortable yet challenging pace and is very entertaining, fulfilling, worthwhile thebestque <br /><br /> ;D<br /><br />/bangs fist on table repeatedly

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=benissimus link=board=3;threadid=449;start=0#3641 date=1060664664]<br />This site has free books which you can download. Just click on the Learn Latin link near the top of the page and choose a book. If you do choose to use one of these texts, beware that they are quite old and more difficult than modern textbooks. You can, however, feel free to ask questions in this forum, so you need not get intimidated by them.[/quote]<br /><br />Ah... you beat me to it! (I mean, pointing out the downloads section :) )<br /><br />Now what do you mean about these older textbooks being more difficult than the modern ones? The M&F book looks like a crash course compared to BLD. <br />

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=Episcopus link=board=3;threadid=449;start=0#3681 date=1060702096]<br />If you finish this book you will not only have saved yourself some hard-earned cheddar but you will also be able to read Latin.[/quote]<br /><br />Another way to look at this ...<br /><br />Download the free grammar books and readers you need from this site, and then reallocate the funds you would have spent to buy other books.<br /><br />

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=Sanctum Angelum link=board=3;threadid=449;start=0#3637 date=1060662661]<br />I want to learn Latin and I dont know anything about it and i was wondering if anyone knew any free down loads that would help? [/quote]<br /><br />I take it you have already found the Latin downloads on this site? There are really only two beginners grammar books you should be considering (http://www.textkit.com/latin-grammar.php): Latin For Beginners by Benjamin L. D'Ooge and Beginner's Latin Book by Collar and Daniell. <br /><br />I would recommend downloading both so you can look at and compare the two, then choose the one that feels right for you. Everyone's learning style is different. Thus, one book may work better for some people, while the other book may work best for others. <br /><br />Don't forget, you can always ask questions here... :)<br /><br />And while there are several people here who are currently working through D'Ooge's book, don't let that deter you from choosing the Collar & Daniell book if it's the one that "speaks" to you. You can still post your questions about exercises in that book, and there will always be people here to help you along your journey.<br /><br />

Lumen_et_umbra
Textkit Member

Post by Lumen_et_umbra »

:-[ When I wrote that, I did not know that the downloads were free. For such a spectacular service, I had imagined that one would need pay a subscription fee. :o<br /><br />

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

Don't forget to take a look at the other discussion, Rant against Wheelock's Latin (viewtopic . php?t=53;start=0) where you'll find a discussion of pro's and con's of Wheelock's Latin book, plus some other recommendations. It's a very enlightening thread to read.

Lumen_et_umbra
Textkit Member

Post by Lumen_et_umbra »

Well, I am convinced. It seems I will be buying another Latin book soon.

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

[quote author=mariek link=board=3;threadid=449;start=0#3697 date=1060715188]<br /><br />Now what do you mean about these older textbooks being more difficult than the modern ones? The M&F book looks like a crash course compared to BLD. <br />[/quote]<br /><br />M&F is a crash course. It's meant to be. ;D

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

They come in all difficulties, but Wheelock and most of the other "normal" texts (as opposed to crash courses) are incredibly easier. A large number of new textbooks function more like readers with a little grammar thrown in. One of the textbooks I own, which is the third of four supposedly Intermediate courses, I could read from start to finish in only 4 months of Latin study... it has yet to go over the IMPERFECT TENSE! Aye aye aye...
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae