to kill - quick question

Are you learning Latin with D'Ooge's Beginners Latin Book? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback and comments from others.
antianira
Textkit Neophyte

to kill - quick question

Post by antianira »

I'm still pretty new at learning Latin, but I've come across a few different words for 'to kill'

neco
interficio
occido (actually I haven't come across this one yet, but I see it in the dictionary at the end)

Are there any differences in these words? Are they completely interchangable? i realize in English we have lots of different words for kill, some are more appropriate than others depending on the context.

Thanks

amans
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by amans »

The three words you mention all mean 'to kill'. The dictionary by Lewis & Short mentions them as synonyms. So they are interchangeable, if not completely. There are little differences in meaning:

neco - to kill, often without any shedding of blood or use of weapons

interficio - this word also means to kill -- if the killing concerns oneself (i.e. suicide), this is the word to use (with the reflexive pronoun)

occido - as this word is composed of ob and caedo, it might carry associations of cutting down, of the enemy literally falling

It is interesting that Latin has such a rich vocabulary for expressing violence . . .

bellum paxque
Textkit Zealot

Post by bellum paxque »

neco - to kill, often without any shedding of blood or use of weapons
In addition to this subtle distinction, I have read that "neco" often suggests a wrongful killing -- as through treachery or malice. I'm not sure how accurate that is, though.

Also, what about "exanimo"? I've seen "ille exanimatus est" and equivalent expressions for "he was killed." Perhaps this is more typically used in the passive. Literally, I guess, the meaning of "exanimo" is "to take the soul from."

David

Dom

Post by Dom »

Interesting (perhaps) fact:ex animo means from the heart. Also animus doesn't have to mean soul. It can aslo mean life which I'm guessing is meant here.