Verbs

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Verbs

Post by Keesa »

I notice that all the Latin sentences (so far) in Latin for Beginners have the verbs at the end. Do the verbs always come at the end in Latin? <br /><br />Keesa

Moerus
Textkit Fan

Re:Verbs

Post by Moerus »

Mostly yes. <br />Not always. There is no special rule. Sometimes the put a verb in front for stressing it. The most important words are always at the end and the beginning of the sentence. And the verb is mostly the most important word, so it is mostly at the end.<br /><br />But there are entire books on the subject, it's to difficult to say this in a few lines. <br />But as a beginner, you can put the verb in last position.<br /><br />Greetz, succes,<br /><br />Moerus<br />

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

For me, I follow the order of questions - then it is easy to see why the word order be changing. <br /><br />Emphasis is 3 1 2 <br /><br />(3 being the most, 1 the least)<br /><br />Normal order: <br /><br />1. Quis monstrum saevum necat?<br /> EPISCOPUS monstum saevum necat.<br /><br />2. Quid Episcopus necat?<br />MONSTRUM SAEVUM Episcopus necat. <br /><br />3. Necatne Episcopus monstrum saevum?<br /> Necat (Episcopus monstrum saevum). <br /><br />Usually that in Brackets is left out, and the verb is used to say yes (necat) or no (Non necat). <br /><br />See different emphases? "Quid" is used here as acc. neut sing of interrogative so in the reply the emphasis is on what is being killed. <br /><br />

Lumen_et_umbra
Textkit Member

Post by Lumen_et_umbra »

Wheelock predicates the ostensible rule of placing the verb at the end of the sentence on the Roman's propensity for suspense. Apparently, according to Wheelock, the sentence sounds more poetic and interesting if the action occurs at the very end. Really, however, you could place the verb in Bejing and not disturb the meaning of the sentence much, however, you might render the sentence more difficult to translate (and to be read for that matter ;) ).

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito »

[quote author=Keesa link=board=3;threadid=452;start=0#3661 date=1060689499]<br />I notice that all the Latin sentences (so far) in Latin for Beginners have the verbs at the end. Do the verbs always come at the end in Latin? <br /><br />Keesa<br />[/quote]<br /><br />When you're actually reading a Latin text.... no. They come scattered all over the place. For an interesting exercise, you might try taking a look at something in "The Latin Library" (link is posted on the "Links" board) and just identifying the verbs in a small (say, 10-line) section. That will give you a very good idea of where they show up! (It'll also be good "extra study".... ;D)<br /><br />That being said, M&F agrees with Episcopus :o (can't put that the other way around, now, can I? ;)) that emphasis is what matters, and that the first and last spots in a sentence are the most emphatic ones.<br /><br />Kilmeny