Readers (Spinoff from Which One, Which One?)

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Readers (Spinoff from Which One, Which One?)

Post by Keesa »

I'm looking for ideas on Latin readers. What do you think would constitute a good, helpful, interesting reader? <br /><br />Keesa

benissimus
Global Moderator

Re:Readers (Spinoff from Which One, Which One?)

Post by benissimus »

Are you looking for one online or an actual book?
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

I am looking to write one (or more) for Textkit. I want to know what sort of reader you would find interesting. For example, the French reader that has done the most for me has five sections; it starts with a fairy tale (Le Petit Tailleur!) and works its way up, using excerpts from Victor Hugo, Guy de Maupassant, and others. I actually thought about taking that fairy tale and turning it into a Latin reader, but would any of you be interested in a fairy tale? <br /><br />On a more original note, I've been working on a retelling of the story of Horatius (from Livy's Early history of Rome, my English translation) and I was thinking of turning that into a reader. <br /><br />I just want to know what would interest everyone at Textkit, and I'm actually asking this question early, since it will be a few months at the least before I'll be able to write in Latin. If you look at the Learning Latin forum, you'll see that we've reached some sort of agreement that we need better Latin readers for beginners. <br /><br />Keesa

Maria
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Maria »

For easy on-line reading, with many notes, try the following:<br />www3.uncc.edu/classics. Click on 'Wheelock Help' and then scroll down to 'Additional Readings' and click on 'Perseus.'<br /><br />Another fun site is www.mythfolklore.net/aesopica. Click on aesopica.net [in the box] to find Aesop's Fables in Latin.<br />

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

[quote author=Maria link=board=6;threadid=446;start=0#3659 date=1060688286]<br /><br />Another fun site is www.mythfolklore.net/aesopica. Click on aesopica.net [in the box] to find Aesop's Fables in Latin.<br /><br />[/quote]<br /><br />How neat! And I see that the site above also has La Fontaine...my mother has the actual book, and a beautiful book it is...<br /><br />Keesa

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

I was looking through the curriculum I use in my homeschooling, and I noticed that the McGuffey Readers, especially the later ones (Fourth, Fifth, etc.) have several sections that could easily be adapted into a Latin reader...the question is, would anyone here be interested in them as a reader? Because they were meant to teach good English reading skills, the words are kept (relatively) simple, and the repetition of words and phrases is quite high. Still, the stories are mostly moral in content, almost pedantic at times, and while I loved reading them, I understand that the moral story is out of fashion in the world today. <br /><br />What are your opinions? Should these be high on my list when I learn enough Latin to start writing a(some) reader(s)? <br /><br />Keesa