Do you SPEAK Latin?

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
mariek
Global Moderator

Do you SPEAK Latin?

Post by mariek »

This is a Spinoff from Profile Language Pack, viewtopic . php?t=432<br /><br />[quote author=Raya link=board=6;threadid=432;start=0#3496 date=1060602221]<br /> a friend of a friend works in the Vatican's translation department, and it seems that, there, they speak Latin because it's the only language all the translators have in common![/quote]<br /><br />That is really cool! I like hearing about these instances where people speak Latin today. Who says Latin is a dead language??<br /><br />So my question to everyone is ... do you SPEAK Latin with anyone? Or SPEAK Greek with anyone?<br /><br />Unfortunately, I have nobody to speak it with. Perhaps I will once I get my husband to start learning Latin!!!<br /><br />

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Re:Do you SPEAK Latin?

Post by Keesa »

Well...that's sort of a yes and no answer. If the question is strictly "Do you speak Latin," then yes, definitely. If I want to say something, and I know the words in Latin, I say it in Latin! Of course, if the question is, "Do you speak Latin regularly", or "Do you speak Latin often"-no. :-[ Not yet. Only because it's hard to make a conversation when you only know a couple dozen words! Give me a couple more weeks to expand my vocabulary and my grammar know-how, and the answer will be Yes, Definitely! <br /><br />Keesa

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

I haven't really tried it but I'd like to....<br /><br />second best, I used to have a latin penpal, so we emailed each other in latin... I think that's a good stepping stone but then I lost him so I'm back to square one... no one in my circle with whom I can practice speaking...
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

I have a few people whom I chat with online in Latin occasionally, but I find that I make far more mistakes in conversation than in my homework :-\ I also speak it sometimes around my friends and family, but they have no idea what I'm saying and usually don't care, because I spout out so much trivial nonsense all the time.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

vinobrien
Textkit Member

Post by vinobrien »

Latin penpal? Chat online? Can someone tell me why we don't just use the Agora? Is it purely episcophobia or do we truly fear so much showing our grammatical uncertainty?

Moerus
Textkit Fan

Post by Moerus »

Yes, sometimes. <br /><br />I said once, like a joke, that I speak Latin with my dogs. That's true. But sometimes I also talk Latin to humans! <br />A prof. of mine at the university does sometimes speak Latin in his course. You don't have to, but I anser him in Latin too. <br />That's very cool. And it is still the best manner to learn Latin. You don't have to be affraid, you will always make faults in the beginning, but no one will be angry at you cause off that. <br /><br />Once I ansered in Latin on an exam of this professor. You must se the look on his face that some one ansered him in Latin, lol!<br />When I know that someone knows Latin, sometimes I send an e-mail in Latin. They always find it very cool. <br /><br />Although, you must never speak Latin to someone whoe does not know it! Once a prof. came here and askes his money in Latin in a bank. Off course no one understood! But he refused to talk an other language! That's really not the thing to do!<br />It had to be fun, to be cool!

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

I think it's that forum prose is more formal than just chatting, and I can't think of anything substantial enough to post about. It's also a much longer wait between replies unless you happen to catch someone else who is currently on and start a conversation... but if you do that, then it's a string of posts that are only 2 liners!
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

It would seem to me that the Agora would be a kind of Open Forum/Academy mixed together, and a very cool place to post if I knew the words to post with! 8) <br /><br />Keesa

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

I had the latin penpal long before I had ever heard of textkit... would like to try the agora sometime but am severely lacking in time just now, and I find composition to be difficult and time-consuming. :)
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Episcopus shall go to the Vatican City and sing his own song to the Pope (through his window). <br /><br />If I were the Pope I would make it necessary that each christian who claims to follow me speak Latin only. <br /><br /><br /> <br />

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

Well, I'm not Catholic, but speaking Latin sounds like a good idea to me. <br /><br />That's one of the neat things about Textkit-when you learn Latin, when you throw Latin phrases into your conversation, you're basically reviving a dead language. That is cool! 8)

Lumen_et_umbra
Textkit Member

Post by Lumen_et_umbra »

I wouldn't ever refer to Latin as being dead if I were you. You will have a stalwart-of-speech group of Latin fanatics giving you a 10-minute diatribe about how it is not - even if it actually is... (at least in a technical sense)

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

Prescisely! That's exactly what I'm saying-dead it may be called, but it never will be as long as you can still speak it in places like Textkit. And that's one of my favorite things about Textkit. (well...that and the free downloads and the tutorials and the friendly, helpful people... :)) <br /><br />Keesa

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

hey Keesa you might be interested in Luigi Miraglia's latin institute in italy... I wanted SO badly to go there last year but it was their first official year and they weren't really organized enough... sometime in the future I hope. Anyway, he's one of the foremost latin speakers in the world, and he lives in this house with a bunch of independent scholars and they speak latin as their household language... it's very cool and I sure wish I could go... that kind of immersion sure would get a person fluent quickly!

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

Wow-that sounds neat. A little bit like the old artist/student system, I would think, where artists had students who stayed with them and ran errands and did chores and whatnot, and in return were completely immersed in the work of the master artists. Very neat... ;D

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

[quote author=klewlis link=board=3;threadid=442;start=0#3752 date=1060742805]<br />hey Keesa you might be interested in Luigi Miraglia's latin institute in italy... I wanted SO badly to go there last year but it was their first official year and they weren't really organized enough... sometime in the future I hope. Anyway, he's one of the foremost latin speakers in the world, and he lives in this house with a bunch of independent scholars and they speak latin as their household language... it's very cool and I sure wish I could go... that kind of immersion sure would get a person fluent quickly!<br />[/quote]<br /><br />I say he goes. He goes! Is it near the Vatican?<br /><br />Keesa, you should try to refrain from referring to Latin as even a moribund language. (Can't I just add the -us onto moridbund??) It lives. I say it lives!<br /><br />

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

I agree, I agree! Latin lives! Latin is awesome! Latin is excellent! But Latin is officially dead. Now. Let's prove the officials wrong, shall we? ;) <br /><br />Keesa

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

si dicis latinam linguam esse moribundam te interficiam ;)

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

[quote author=Episcopus link=board=3;threadid=442;start=15#3792 date=1060775302]<br />si dicis latinam linguam esse moribundam te interficiam ;)<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Hey, I said it was awesome. I didn't say I could speak it yet. :P<br /><br />

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Don't worry it's probably incorrect ;) I try anyhow (it's a joke by the way)

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Ha ha, correctus est quod dicebat, sed nefas erat! Sunt multi quos vis interficere!

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

[quote author=Episcopus link=board=3;threadid=442;start=15#3787 date=1060774547]<br />I say he goes. He goes! Is it near the Vatican?<br />[/quote]<br /><br />I don't think so... it's in the mountains near naples (Campania).

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

Hey, what's a few hundred miles to a lover of the Vatican such as Episcopus? ;D<br /><br />Keesa

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

I'll make the pilgrimage followed by everyone in my diocese ;D <br /><br />

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito »

Does everyone in your diocese know this?<br /><br />Kilmeny