Textkit Logo

volo volare

Philosophers and rhetoricians, Welcome!

volo volare

Postby Aurelia » Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:05 pm

Some people say that if man were meant to fly, he would have been born with wings. I say, man was meant to fly because he was born with the mind to create the technology to achieve flight. What do you think? :?:
phpbb
Aurelia
Textkit Fan

Re: volo volare

Postby Misopogon » Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:22 pm

Aurelia wrote:Some people say that if man were meant to fly, he would have been born with wings. I say, man was meant to fly because he was born with the mind to create the technology to achieve flight. What do you think? :?:

I've always thought it is a non sense and you catched the point. The nature of human race is to be "unnatural", or in other words to adapt to natural world and change it. The fallacy of the statement is self evident when you compare it with similare ones, e.g.:
If man was meant to live in Montana, he would have been born with a thick fur (otherwise he couldn't survive the winter).
Misopogon
Misopogon
Textkit Member

Re: volo volare

Postby Emma_85 » Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:11 pm

Aurelia wrote:Some people say that if man were meant to fly, he would have been born with wings. I say, man was meant to fly because he was born with the mind to create the technology to achieve flight. What do you think? :?:

if man were meant to clean his teeth he would have bristles on his index finger and special glands to produce toothpaste on his thumb. <- that makes about as much sense as the 'if man were meant to fly...' thing
phpbb
Emma_85
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Yhevhe » Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:50 pm

I think man was meant for nothing in special... He gives himself a meaning.
Yhevhe
Textkit Fan

Return to The Academy