Textkit Logo

What's Love

Philosophers and rhetoricians, Welcome!

What's Love

Postby Episcopus » Fri May 06, 2005 5:06 pm

...got to do with it got to do with it

Seriously though, there is one great unanswered question, what exactly romantic love is. Love between a boy and a girl. Please do not give long winded answers which come to various often contradictory conclusions, just summarize whether you think it to be real, a set value. How can it be though, when each situation is different and each person is different. That which one person might consider love another might consider the act of just liking some one in a romantic way. Is it possible to define 'love'? Are humans designed to love or just romp like antelopes and because of intelligence try to create meaningful bonds when in fact the catalyst is always sexual desire from the outset? Since love is but abstract and contained by the mind, is is unreasonable to say that we ourselves initially construct it, without at first loving, then become incapable of destroying this manually built love, thus rendering it 'true' love?
phpbb
Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Postby Bardo de Saldo » Sun May 08, 2005 6:45 am

Stop thinking about it and just ask Emma out.

:oops:
Bardo de Saldo
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby Episcopus » Sun May 08, 2005 1:20 pm

This was meant as a serious topic of discussion not an opportunity for plaisantes.

Thanks again you twat,

~e
phpbb
Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Postby ThomasGR » Mon May 09, 2005 6:59 am

WHAT'S LOVE?

Author: Dareen

Love is a thing shared by two
Love is what you feel for me and you
Love is precious when its shared
Love is danger when its dared

Love wanders and searches for the one
Love plays and just do it for fun
Love lets you hear love songs to emote
Love lets you make sweet poems & a quote

Love makes the world go around
Love makes us happy if the one we love
is finally found
Love turns the world upside down
Love cheers us never with a frown

Love makes you cry
Love sacrifices and says goodbye
Love has its own reason and time
Love can make someone you love "mine"

Love makes a person kiss
Love makes a person miss
Love is experienced by all
Love conquers when you fall
ThomasGR
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby sisyphus » Tue May 10, 2005 1:10 am

Ah, Episcope,

life's greatest quest. Nobody knows what love is, though (nearly) everybody thinks they do. This is just a little of what I think:

Yes, love is real. No, it's not a set value, thus;

That which one person might consider love another might consider the act of just liking some one in a romantic way

Quite so, and a difficult thing to remember when we're in the throes of it all.

Love is Fire. So love has the colours of fire (you should know the colours of fire; the blue of Selenium, green of Thallium, the red of Strontium); but all fire consumes. Love is the reason for life, but love can hurt so much the only way out may seem to be to relinquish it. It never is. We always survive, even if we don't want to.

Is it possible to define 'love'?

i don't think so. (And you are asking what we think.) But the effort is part of what makes us human.

Are humans designed to love [?]

i don't believe humans are designed. Full stop. If you do, that's a deciding factor in your view of ... well, not just this question, but everything.

is [it] unreasonable to say that we ourselves initially construct it, without at first loving, then become incapable of destroying this manually built love, thus rendering it 'true' love?

No, not unreasonable to say construction can happen. If i understand you correctly your question is about construction. It's a fundamental problem. In our youth we may construct an idea of "love" itself, without experience, without "at first loving". Then, as throughout our lives, we live at risk of constructing an image of "love" and looking for someone to fulfil it. Anyone who is looking for a lover who is "tall", "slim", "witty", "generous", "long-haired", "brunette", "wealthy" (ad nauseam) is guilty of this self delusion. It's just a filter. We seldom fall in love with people who match our criteria anyway. Our greatest loves are the most unexpected.

Ultimately the only thing that matters is what YOU think. Secondarily, what the person you love thinks.

Sorry if this is a "long winded answer" with "often contradictory conclusions", but you did ask. And it's a fascinating question.
sisyphus
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Episcopus » Tue May 10, 2005 3:41 pm

No I enjoyed reading that, I suppose I was hoping for a short statement of what love is, but it is different in each case.

hmm...I thought I loved a girl she was so sweet to me and I looked up whenever she enter the room etc. but now she has cut her hair and does not look young cute and innocent anymore (not to sound like a freak but you know what I mean - she was my little girl from the old days). Before I had strong feelings now they just vanished when I saw her today. Did I really love her because it seemed not like a girl I just randomly did. Or is the bishop just shallow :?: I have always known her with long hair and now she looks like a different person and I care not for her. :shock:
phpbb
Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Postby Bardo de Saldo » Tue May 10, 2005 5:44 pm

Love is an emotion, at its best when unencumbered by the thought process, you wanker.

If you want to think of love, think of a mother holding his new-born son, not of horny teen-agers.

Romantic Love is not love, but an attraction of opposites. The emotions envolved are usually fear and anger, masked as "love" to make them acceptable. Example: A man who's afraid of women will feel attracted to a woman who hates men. For proof, go to a divorce court.
Bardo de Saldo
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby Bardo de Saldo » Tue May 10, 2005 6:27 pm

If you like extremes, you can also think of love as a Samurai cutting off his best friend's head, who's agonizing with a dagger in his guts.
Bardo de Saldo
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby Episcopus » Tue May 10, 2005 7:04 pm

Bardo de Saldo wrote:Love is an emotion, at its best when unencumbered by the thought process, you wanker.

If you want to think of love, think of a mother holding his new-born son, not of horny teen-agers.

Romantic Love is not love, but an attraction of opposites. The emotions envolved are usually fear and anger, masked as "love" to make them acceptable. Example: A man who's afraid of women will feel attracted to a woman who hates men. For proof, go to a divorce court.

Pure vitrol, love it!

Well this is what I am trying to figure out - because you are indeed correct, sometimes I think it may be the result of randy teenagers, for this is the case half of the time. The other time it feels as if there is no other, let's fulfil our dreams together, let's reach for the sky, let's sit by a stream, let's be so close that we read eachother's minds, let's skip in the flowers Bardo! Quae I would never replace with intercourse to the most pulchritudinous of females.

By the way, the (-----------), you (-------) device does not work for you. It sounds forced. There is only one man on this board who can do it, and it is not Episcopus.
phpbb
Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Postby copain » Wed May 11, 2005 8:36 pm

Love, that´s the revolution of your feelings against your mind.
    Only with the aim, to be one with the one your heart so much desire!
copain
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Kopio » Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:00 pm

I think romantic Love is quite obvious.....but I don't consider that "true" Love. I consider love to be.....acting in the best intrest of someone else, even if we arent' especially wild about the idea.

Ok....this sounds strange huh? I love my wife. Sometimes she drives me nuts (as I assure you, I do to her also), but I always (most always, honestly) act in her best interest. My purposes in life are for her benefit. Now, this usually has benefit for me. I think the most pure form of love is when you love someone you really don't care for. It's when I stick up for the jerk at work, and try to understand why he is that way, rather than just bash him like everyone else does. Love and forgiveness are very close friends. You cannot have one without the other.

Romantic love almost always fades. Sad but true. After 12 years marriage to my wife, I don't get a knot in my throat when I see her step out of the shower (mind you, it isn't completely without effect though :wink: ), but I feel that I DO love her much more and completely than those early days when my head swam whenever I caught a glimpse of her.

I love myself completely. I only act to my own benefit (call me selfish if you'd like, but you are no different), even when I don't especially like myself. Sometimes I h@te myself, but I still do what is best for me, even at those low times. Does this make sense Epi? Or am I just completely rambling??
Kopio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Episcopus » Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:36 pm

No Kopio, that was a great post.

I suppose that's what you should think about prior to marriage: would you still want to spend the rest of your life with some one without the romantic love and the answer furs Bischof is NEIN

*p.s. yes I neutered den Bischof
phpbb
Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

de amore

Postby bellum paxque » Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:09 pm

Love is a strange fusion of sexual attraction, emotional intimacy, and amiable interaction. And like most types of fusion, it usually ends in the energetic displacement of adams.

David
bellum paxque
Textkit Zealot

Postby Bert » Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:12 pm

I wish I would have written what Kopio wrote.
Bert
Textkit Zealot

Postby Kopio » Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:22 am

Bert wrote:I wish I would have written what Kopio wrote.

Just cut and paste and you can :wink:
Kopio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Bardo de Saldo » Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:15 am

"[...] let's skip in the flowers Bardo!" (Episcopus)

Let's take it one step at a time, dear Episcopus.

The good news is that love is universal, and even wanking twats like us can feel pure love.

"Pure vitriol." (Episcopus)

How does glass end up being vituperative?
Bardo de Saldo
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby Episcopus » Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:04 pm

love is a strange fusion of sexual attraction, emotional intimacy, and amiable interaction.

I agree with this
phpbb
Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Postby Paul » Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:23 am

If anyone is interested in a thoughtful scholar's perspective on 'romantic love', please see "Love in the Western World" by Denis De Rougemont.

Cordially,

Paul
Paul
Textkit Zealot

Postby Kevinnnnn » Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:10 pm

Love is purely biolgical. Love is merely a reason for continued sexual intercourse between partners; which, in turn, leads to more people.
Kevinnnnn
Textkit Neophyte

Postby primitive » Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:30 am

You could look at it as just being highly complicated patterns of electrons running through your brain as the result of your five senses coming into contact with something that pleasures you I guess.
phpbb
primitive
Textkit Member

Postby Episcopus » Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:28 pm

The two above posts from Kevin and primitive have made me think! Perhaps I made a mistake in trying to complicate it... :?
phpbb
Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Postby eris » Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:28 pm

ThomasGR wrote:WHAT'S LOVE?

....Love turns the world upside down

For our dear Episcope, wouldn't he refer this as an example of "Das Inverse Law"??? :)
eris
Textkit Member

Postby Episcopus » Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:01 pm

Yes! One's actions are often the inverse of that which one would do when sane!

:shock:
phpbb
Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Postby eris » Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:06 pm

I think I'm becoming a believer in Das Inverse Law! :D
eris
Textkit Member

Return to The Academy