Prospecting in Used Bookstores....

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Re:Prospecting in Used Bookstores....

Post by Keesa »

[quote author=mariek link=board=6;threadid=375;start=30#3439 date=1060572384]<br /><br /><br />Or having the library like the one in Disney's Beauty and the Beast, a room with walls lined in bookshelves, and it went up pretty high too. <br /><br />Oooh, yes! I would like that! I've always wondered why "Beauty and the Beast" was one of my favorite movies... ;D<br /><br /><br /><br />There are used bookstores in the USA, but you have to make an effort to seek them out.<br /><br />[/quote]<br /><br /><br />I'll have to do that, next time I have a chance. Birmingham might have some...or it might not. <br /><br />Keesa<br />

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

[quote author=mariek link=board=6;threadid=375;start=30#3439 date=1060572384]<br /><br />There are used bookstores in the USA, but you have to make an effort to seek them out.[/color]<br /><br />[/quote]<br /><br />Hey, there are used bookstores here in America! I just found a whole listing of them at Harvest Books (www.harvestbooksearch.com). Unfortunately, all the stores on the list are in Pennsylvania...then again, I've heard Pennsylvania is beautiful in the fall... ;D<br /><br />It's nice to know they exist! <br /><br />Keesa

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito »

[quote author=Episcopus link=board=6;threadid=375;start=30#3346 date=1060532073]<br />Pink is nice for males I wear it and I be a teenager and be not loving other males although that is what some ignorant people may be thinking....MILITO!! <br />[/quote]<br /><br />All I was thinking is that I hate the colour pink. Orange is worse.....<br /><br />My brother looks pretty good in pink, actually, despite his close-to-red hair.... But I still am a mite opinionated on the colour pink.... Almost as much as you are, Episcopus, on the subject of the Divinity of Dr D'Ooge! ;D<br /><br />Kilmeny

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

I can not believe that no one wants pink :'(<br /><br />Dr. D'Ooge owned a yacht. He was classy. He would have worn a pink shirt with white stitching - probably with "Just D'Ooge It" on also - for he was the man. He still is. Who can teach Latin to a very ignorant child?

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

We should just wear white togas... problem settled ;D
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito »

[quote author=benissimus link=board=6;threadid=375;start=30#3547 date=1060617619]<br />We should just wear white togas... problem settled ;D<br />[/quote]<br /><br />.... it would certainly attract attention..... But where would you put the logo??<br /><br />Kilmeny

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

On the sinus of course!
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito »

Ah yes.... How silly of me.... ;D<br /><br />Kilmeny

Puella Parva
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Puella Parva »

I like pink, but my favorite color is blue. Still, pink with white stitching sounds neat, I'm not sure about "Just D'Ooge It" :P

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

[quote author=Puella Parva link=board=6;threadid=375;start=45#3590 date=1060640849]<br /> I'm not sure about "Just D'Ooge It" :P<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Better duck, Sis, Episcopus is coming. <br /><br /> ;D <br /><br />Keesa

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

[quote author=benissimus link=board=6;threadid=375;start=30#3547 date=1060617619]<br />We should just wear white togas... problem settled ;D<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Oooh, I like that idea! I look good in togas, and I look good in white. Bring on the togas! <br /><br />Keesa

Puella Parva
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Puella Parva »

[quote author=Keesa link=board=6;threadid=375;start=45#3591 date=1060641059]<br />[quote author=Puella Parva link=board=6;threadid=375;start=45#3590 date=1060640849]<br /> I'm not sure about "Just D'Ooge It" :P<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Better duck, Sis, Episcopus is coming. <br /><br /> ;D <br /><br />Keesa<br />[/quote]<br /><br />:ingnites lightsaber: Bring him on. ;D

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

On the original topic, though, how would I go about finding out if there are any used bookstores in Alabama? Perhaps Google could help? "used bookstores Alabama", I suppose...<br /><br />Keesa

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito »

[quote author=Keesa link=board=6;threadid=375;start=45#3599 date=1060642359]<br />On the original topic, though, how would I go about finding out if there are any used bookstores in Alabama? Perhaps Google could help? "used bookstores Alabama", I suppose...<br /><br />Keesa<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Or there's an "Antiquarian Booksellers Association", which might be able to help. I found them off of "www.hackenbooks.com", which is an antiquarian bookstore in California with an online catalogue (check Catalogue 7 for classics stuff). They might be able to help, too.... (The Antiquarian Booksellers Association, I mean.)<br /> <br />Kilmeny

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

(Let's keep it on topic girls, that's right; sabers away. >:( )<br /><br />Unfourtunately there are no bookshops near to my house; however I use ebay and have bought books aplenty thence.

Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carola »

mariek wrote:<br />
Carola wrote:<br />My ideal house would be one where all the walls are covered in bookshelves.
<br /><br />Mine too! Or having the library like the one in Disney's Beauty and the Beast, a room with walls lined in bookshelves, and it went up pretty high too. <br />
<br />I have now issued instructions to my family to buy anything in Latin they find in 2nd hand bookshops, school fetes, sales etc.
<br /><br />How is this working out? Do they find obscure stuff you love? Do they ever (unknowingly) buy you the same book?<br /><br />There are used bookstores in the USA, but you have to make an effort to seek them out.<br /><br />
<br />Well, so far they are just promising to do this (I think it's called "humouring Carol" and is something my family does very well) . If I double up I'll just sell it to one of the other students doing my Latin course at Uni (or keep a spare in the car in case I get caught in a traffic jam....) We have a few 2nd hand book shops in Adelaide and they do get Latin books in from time to time. The education system here was very "British" up until recently, probably a lot longer than it was in England, so Latin was definitely on the school menu (esp. if you went to a private school). So school textbooks are still around.

MDS
Textkit Fan

Post by MDS »

I live 30 mins from Toronto, any one know of good used bookstores around there? Or Ontario in general since I could justify a field trip solely for this purpose!

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito »

There **used** to be a really good one in Kingston, which I hope to find still in operation come March.... I know that Kingston's a fair drive away from Toronto, but at least it's in the ballpark - so to speak.... I would suspect that Toronto must have something....

MDS
Textkit Fan

Post by MDS »

Milito:<br />There **used** to be a really good one in Kingston, which I hope to find still in operation come March.... I know that Kingston's a fair drive away from Toronto, but at least it's in the ballpark - so to speak.... I would suspect that Toronto must have something.... <br /><br />Kingston is no problem as I will be attending Queen's in Sept. Geez, might have to hop on the train and go find it before I start! Do you remeber the name of it or where it was or even when you last went or heard about it?

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito »

It was along the waterfront, in the vicinity of Brock, as I recall.... I don't think it was quite as far as the (near) Martello tower, but it was past Chez Piggy. I can't for the life of me remember what it is/was called, but it did have some very good books there, and didn't tend to be completely focused around trade paperbacks. I saw some interesting published letters of Simco, for instance, and got a great set on the American Civil War.<br /><br />If you're going to Queens in September, I'm going to be on the military base (not at the military college!) in March - at which time you'll be gearing up for exams, so won't want to be talking Greek/Latin to anyone!<br /><br />Kilmeny

MDS
Textkit Fan

Post by MDS »

Milto:<br />It was along the waterfront, in the vicinity of Brock, as I recall.... I don't think it was quite as far as the (near) Martello tower, but it was past Chez Piggy. I can't for the life of me remember what it is/was called, but it did have some very good books there, and didn't tend to be completely focused around trade paperbacks. I saw some interesting published letters of Simco, for instance, and got a great set on the American Civil War.<br /><br />If you're going to Queens in September, I'm going to be on the military base (not at the military college!) in March - at which time you'll be gearing up for exams, so won't want to be talking Greek/Latin to anyone!<br /><br />Geez, you had to bring up exams didn't you? :) Thanks for the store info I will definately be checking it out! Which bases have you been posted to throughout Canada?