Want to be a Pharr guide anyone?

Are you reading Homeric Greek? Whether you are a total beginner or an advanced Homerist, here you can meet kindred spirits. Besides Homer, use this board for all things early Greek poetry.
Bert
Textkit Zealot

Want to be a Pharr guide anyone?

Post by Bert »

Some Textkitters have expressed some interest in starting another Pharr reading group.
The problem is that the more or less regular guides are going to suffer from burn-out if they were to get roped in to leading yet another group.
I am a "graduate" of the Pharr-a group. That does not necessarily qualify me to be a guide, but I think I would be able to do the work of a quide assistant. (I would be willing to do the G-E corrections under the watchfull eye of a more knowledgeable quide)
In order for a new pharr group to become a reality, we will need at least one experience Greek student.
It would be fantastic if someone would come forward who is able to correct English to Greek exercises.
Please let me know if you think you might be able to do this.

psilord
Textkit Member

Post by psilord »

Are previous lesson plans and correction keys available from other pharr groups? They would be a real help to the next group leader. If these don't exist, then I say when the next Pharr group forms (and I sure hope I'm a part of it), I'll be willing to help organize the data as we go through it into a book to help other teachers.

swiftnicholas
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by swiftnicholas »

It would be great if the information accumulated in the Pharr-A group was made available to the public. I don't even know exactly what exists at this point (lots of emails?), but perhaps it could provide an updated answer key, or just a massive mess of notes and reactions.

Paul
Textkit Zealot

Post by Paul »

Hi,

pharr-a ran from 2/2004 to 6/2005. For the first six months of the group we posted and graded work by e-mail.
I introduced in mid-October a web-based posting/grading tool called GAGLS, which we used for the rest of the group's life.

pharr-b began in 11/2004 and is chugging along nicely. We used GAGLS from the outset. Around 5/1/2005 I introduced a better web-based posting/grading tool called GTSS, which we've been using since (GAGLS has been retired).

Both GAGLS and GTSS keep lesson data. The GAGLS lesson data consists of the user's translation and guide corrections. But question
and answer exchanges continued to be handled via the e-mail list.

GTSS lesson data consists of the lesson text (e.g., lines of the Iliad or practice sentences), the user's translation, guide corrections, user/guide Q&A, and any general 'lesson comments' the guides make.

Better still, anyone can view the work in a GTSS-based group (pharr-b and white-a) by logging in as 'guest' (no password required). The url is
http://www.greekgeek.org/groups/login.htm. There is a very hasty introduction to GTSS available at http://www.greekgeek.org/gtssIntro.pdf. 'Guest' access is read-only. Hence much of the material in this document does not apply to guest login. But the document will give you a sense for GTSS functionality. If you're interested in viewing some work, pay special attention to the discussion of the 'Files' tab and file discovery.

Note also that I can easily make the GAGLS data available to new guides.

In fine, prospective Pharr-group guides have ready access to past work; and GTSS provides some powerful infrastructure in support of a study group.

Cordially,

Paul

A_M_P
Textkit Neophyte

Post by A_M_P »

What is the numbering scheme for the lessons? I'm trying to peruse some of those archives and I'm not sure what to put in the LessonId.Line box.

thanks
-andy

Paul
Textkit Zealot

Post by Paul »

A_M_P wrote:What is the numbering scheme for the lessons? I'm trying to peruse some of those archives and I'm not sure what to put in the LessonId.Line box.

thanks
-andy
Sorry Andy.

We use the Pharr paragraph numbers. I think this is discussed in the aforementioned PDF. Apologies, again, if it isn't.

Try this:

a. login to pharr-b as guest
b. choose the Author filter
c. enter 181 in the lessonid field
d. click once on the Files tab to active it
e. right click on the Files tab and click on 'discover by lessonID'

The resulting display in the Files tabspace will show you all authors who have published lessonID 181. If you click an author name, his or her lesson will load into the left pane.

If you discover by author instead, you can see all the lessonIDs that a given author has published.

Please let me know if I can be of further help.

Cordially,

Paul

chad
Textkit Zealot

Post by chad »

Hi Bert, I will try to help out on pharr-c with the english to greek corrections. I think that the guides' expert corrections of our work in pharr-a will be a big help. :)

swiftnicholas
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by swiftnicholas »

Paul,

I tried the links you gave to view the archived work, but my browser couldn't find the page. Do I need to download software first?

Thanks,
Nicholas

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

swiftnicholas wrote:Paul,

I tried the links you gave to view the archived work, but my browser couldn't find the page. Do I need to download software first?

Thanks,
Nicholas
Try to delete the last character (period) of the url.
http://www.greekgeek.org/groups/login.htm

Paul
Textkit Zealot

Post by Paul »

swiftnicholas wrote:Paul,

Thanks,
Nicholas
Hi Nicholas,

No, nothing to download. Please try Bert's suggestion. I suppose my ISP could have been down when you tried. But all looks cool now.

Cordially,

Paul

swiftnicholas
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by swiftnicholas »

Thanks guys; it's working now. I think Bert was right.

It looks like a great tool. I'm excited to be able to browse through the information.

~Nicholas