Greek Geeks and Latin .... ?

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
mariek
Global Moderator

Greek Geeks and Latin .... ?

Post by mariek »

<br />OK, I know that the Greek enthusiasts are called Greek Geeks.<br /><br />What are the Latin enthusiasts called?<br /><br />

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Re:Greek Geeks and Latin .... ?

Post by bingley »

Latin lovers, of course. ;)

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

::)
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Raya
Textkit Fan

Post by Raya »

I call them hoi barbaroi ;D<br /><br />I always thought we were Hellenists and Latinists, though...

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

[quote author=Raya link=board=6;threadid=434;start=0#3495 date=1060602016]<br />I call them hoi barbaroi ;D<br />[/quote]<br /><br /> >:(
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Illi barbari...

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

Now I know Textkit is unique. This is the only website I've found where the members hurl insults at one another in Latin and Ancient Greek. ;D<br /><br />Keesa

vinobrien
Textkit Member

Post by vinobrien »

et tua mater quoque

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

tui patres cum togis non candidis se adornunt.

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

quis "tua mater" dixit? mea verba sunt ea! <br />

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

To bad that when hoi barbaroi hurl insults, I can't read them.<br />I just smile, assuming they are worthy insults.

Puella Parva
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Puella Parva »

[quote author=Bert de Haan link=board=6;threadid=434;start=0#3598 date=1060642175]<br />To bad that when hoi barbaroi hurl insults, I can't read them.<br />I just smile, assuming they are worthy insults. <br />[/quote]<br />Me too!! ;D

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

I'm starting to be able to pick out words, here and there...<br /><br /> ;D<br /><br />Keesa

Moerus
Textkit Fan

Post by Moerus »

Greek geeks, but we all know that Latin is exstincted cause of his lack of an article.

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

[quote author=Moerus link=board=6;threadid=434;start=0#3995 date=1060973430]<br />Greek geeks, but we all know that Latin is exstincted cause of his lack of an article. <br />[/quote]<br /><br />Uh-oh. Here's another one who says Latin is dead, Episcopus! You'd better cure them... ;D<br /><br />Keesa

Moerus
Textkit Fan

Post by Moerus »

Greek geeks, but we all know that Latin is exstincted cause of his lack of an article. <br /> <br /><br /><br />Uh-oh. Here's another one who says Latin is dead, Episcopus! You'd better cure them... <br /><br />Keesa
<br /><br /><br />It was a joke! In fact I am a great Latin-and-Greek - lover. I really promote Latin and Greek. And I really think more people should speak it! Although you have to be understandable! So you'll never see me talking Greek or Latin when not everybody I am talking to understands what I am saying! But with Latin or Greek fellows, why not talk Latin or Greek sometimes. It can onlyy be a good exercise!<br />And there are many people who talk Latin or Greek and even today! There are even journals entirely in Latin and Greek! Latin poets also today, etc. etc. <br />Latin and Greek aren' t dead and I think they never will be, certainly not when I am alive!

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Why should I cure them Keesa - you're the one with the french mother. <br /><br />Plus he need not be cured.

bfeylia
Textkit Neophyte

Post by bfeylia »

hoc ridiculum est! quid cogitare debemus?! Stultine viri sumus?<br />Heu! (Pheu! in lingua graeca) O tempora! O mores!<br />"Hoi Barbaroi" certe!<br />Tamen, quid ops est in hoc locum!!!

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

[quote author=Episcopus link=board=6;threadid=434;start=15#4142 date=1061078630]<br />Why should I cure them Keesa - you're the one with the french mother. <br /><br />Plus he need not be cured. <br />[/quote]<br /><br />I'm not sure how having a French (Belgian, actually) mother helps me...she says it's a dead language, also! (But, I'm trying to persuade her otherwise.) <br /><br />Keesa

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Well...tell your MOTHER that her language is 80% LATIN. <br /><br />Read the Introduction of Dr. D'Ooge's book. <br /><br />

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

I read the introduction. English is a good 50% Latin! But French and English are still their own languages, although they stand on Latin's foundation. It's the Latin itself that we have to keep alive. <br /><br />Keesa

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

alors si elle te dit que le latin c'est mort, dis à ta mère qu'elle le parle chaque jour - huit mots sur dix ;)

Lumen_et_umbra
Textkit Member

Post by Lumen_et_umbra »

Here is an epithet for the Greeks, of which the Romans were quite fond. <br /><br />Graeculi!<br /><br />It is suposed to be contemptuous. ;)<br /><br />Keesa-<br /> As a side note, I find it interesting that Latinates in English derive mostly from French - despite the fact that, if I were not to know either Latin or French, I would be more apt to understand Latin (in my opinion).