2nd Corinthinas 5:10

Are you learning Koine Greek, the Greek of the New Testament and most other post-classical Greek texts? Whatever your level, use this forum to discuss all things Koine, Biblical or otherwise, including grammar, textbook talk, difficult passages, and more.
JauneFlammee
Textkit Neophyte

2nd Corinthinas 5:10

Post by JauneFlammee »

[size=150] τοὺς γὰρ πάντας ἡμᾶς φανερωθῆναι δεῖ ἔμπροσθεν τοῦ βήματος τοῦ χριστοῦ, ἵνα κομίσηται ἕκαστος τὰ διὰ τοῦ σώματος πρὸς ἃ ἔπραξεν, εἴτε ἀγαθὸν εἴτε φαῦλον.[/size]

My questions is about the 'ta dia somatos' part of this sentence. All the translations I checked have this clause as describing the deeds - something like - "for deeds done in the body". Is it a valid reading of this sentence to take that clause as sort of the object of 'komisetai' describing where the recieving will take place. "Will receive things in the body for what each has done". This seems like a more natural reading to me. What does 'ta' mean - I don't understand the function of the definite article here?

annis
Textkit Zealot

Re: 2nd Corinthinas 5:10

Post by annis »

JauneFlammee wrote:This seems like a more natural reading to me. What does 'ta' mean - I don't understand the function of the definite article here?
Both Attic and Koine Greek allow you to modify nouns by sandwiching an adverbial or prepositional phrase between the noun and its article. So,

οἱ νῦν ἄνθρωποι "the people now"
ἡ ἐν τῇ ἀγορῇ γυνή "the woman in the agora"

However, if the referent is understood, you can drop the noun.

οἱ πάλαι "the people (who were) of old"
τὰ ὑπὲρ τοῦ βασιλέως "the deeds on behalf of the king"

So τὰ διὰ τοῦ σώματος as "deeds through/during/arising from the body" or something similar is best.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;