Personal Pronouns

Are you learning Latin with D'Ooge's Beginners Latin Book? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback and comments from others.
Hullabaloo
Textkit Neophyte

Personal Pronouns

Post by Hullabaloo »

Just out of curiosity, why does it take so bloody long to introduce you to simple conjugations like "I love" or "You eat". For the first 50 pages of the book, you can only say things like involving 3rd person. Grr. I just know that in other language books i've looked at, not for Latin, pronouns and verb conjugation are introduced in the first or second chapter. Is there a reason? Is verb conjugation hard in Latin? Thanks.

cattvs viridis
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Personal Pronouns

Post by cattvs viridis »

Hullabaloo wrote:Just out of curiosity, why does it take so bloody long to introduce you to simple conjugations like "I love" or "You eat". For the first 50 pages of the book, you can only say things like involving 3rd person. Grr. I just know that in other language books i've looked at, not for Latin, pronouns and verb conjugation are introduced in the first or second chapter. Is there a reason? Is verb conjugation hard in Latin? Thanks.
I have now been thru the first 100 pages of this book and as far as I can tell the verb conjugation is not hard in Latin. Not hard at all! Latin, as it appears, is a very mathematical language and verb conjugation follows simple logic. I would say declension of nouns and adjectives are more complicated -and a little frustrating to the beginner-.

The wheelock book has the verb conjugation in its beginning.. must be the choice of the author I guess. :|

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Have patience my dear son. You will soon become fed up of the verbs which come thick and fast.