Learning Greek

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
benissimus
Global Moderator

Learning Greek

Post by benissimus »

I am interested in learning Ancient Greek (not Koine) and I am wondering which of the texkit books would I be best off with? I have a good grasp of Latin and grammar, if that would affect which book would be best suited to me.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Re:Learning Greek

Post by Keesa »

Well, I'm very much a beginner myself, but I'm working with "First Greek Book" (I think that's the title..._ by John W. White. I haven't thrown it across the room yet, so that's a good sign...although, come to think of it, I'm reading it on the computer. (You think that might have something to do with it?) ;D<br /><br />Anyway, I'm not the best source, since I'm only working in that one book, and I'm still at the beginning of it. <br /><br />Keesa

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Well, I got impatient for a reply and started that one as well. It's not too late to change if someone has a better recommendation though. Once I figured out the paradigms, it wasn't nearly as scary as I had thought, and I am already enjoying it :D
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Paul
Textkit Zealot

Post by Paul »

Hi,<br /><br />I know I beat this drum fairly often, but I would recommend<br />Clyde Pharr's "Homeric Greek".<br /><br />As I noted in another thread, several forum members are working their way through it now. Also, some of us have already finished it. Hence you'll be enjoying a shared experience and there will be no lack of help in the forum.<br /><br />Cordially,<br /><br />Paul

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

Is Homeric Greek on Textkit? I didn't see it earlier, when I looked...maybe I just didn't look hard enough. <br /><br />Keesa

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

[quote author=Keesa link=board=2;threadid=413;start=0#3392 date=1060550157]<br />Is Homeric Greek on Textkit? I didn't see it earlier, when I looked...maybe I just didn't look hard enough. <br />[/quote]<br /><br />Alas, the copyright keeps Pharr off Textkit, and will for some time to come. <br /><br />If you only have access to the books here, then "The First Greek Book" is fine. If you can, though, Pharr is usually sold for less than US$20. I cannot recommend it too highly, especially for someone who has already some experience with an inflected language like Latin.<br /><br />
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

Oh, dear...so many good books to get! I foresee myself being broke for many long years...<br /><br />Keesa