Textkit Logo

Help with translation wanted!

Here's where you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Moderator: thesaurus

Help with translation wanted!

Postby daonlyfreez » Wed Apr 30, 2003 1:41 pm

Hello,<br /><br />I'm trying to translate two simple oneliners, sofar I have only this rough translations, can anyone help?<br /><br />"It's a good day to die"<br />"Bonum die mori est" <br /><br />"I know something you don't know"<br />"Scio ... tibi non sciet"<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />daonlyfreez
phpbb
daonlyfreez
Textkit Neophyte

Re:Help with translation wanted!

Postby vinobrien » Wed Apr 30, 2003 4:28 pm

I just know this is going to get a lot of posts of which mine will be the least usable but I'm running for a train, how about<br /><br />hodie bonum est mori (esne Kingon?)<br /><br />scio aliquid ego et tu illud non scis (na, na na, naaa, na)<br /><br />
phpbb
vinobrien
Textkit Member

Postby Milito » Wed Apr 30, 2003 5:40 pm

Hum.... I was wondering about <br /><br />bonus dies morienti est <br /><br />but I'm a little uncertain about the use of the participle.<br /><br />I liked the second translation, especially the brackets!<br /><br />Milito.
phpbb
Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby daonlyfreez » Wed Apr 30, 2003 7:54 pm

I just learned it's not a Klingon thing, but a Sioux thing... :D<br />It's reported to be what Crazy Horse told his men<br />prior to the battle of Little Big Horn. <br /><br />Greetings, and thanks so far,<br /><br />daonlyfreez
phpbb
daonlyfreez
Textkit Neophyte

Postby daonlyfreez » Sat May 10, 2003 11:11 am

Any more suggestions, anyone?<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />daonlyfreez
phpbb
daonlyfreez
Textkit Neophyte

Postby benissimus » Mon May 12, 2003 5:27 am

"It's a good day to die"<br />Bonus dies ut moramur. "A good day for us to die."<br />Bonus dies ut moraris. "A good day for you to die."<br />Bonus dies mori. "A good day to die." (This construction with the infinitive is rare in prose)<br /><br />"I know something you don't know"<br />Aliquid mihi at non tibi scitur. "Something is known to me but not to you"<br />Scio quod non scis. "I know what you do not"
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae
benissimus
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Return to Learning Latin