Nouns ending in “-ius” and “-ium” of the second declination

Are you learning Latin with D'Ooge's Beginners Latin Book? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback and comments from others.
Andrus
Textkit Member

Nouns ending in “-ius” and “-ium” of the second declination

Post by Andrus »

Salvete,

I have just finish the lesson where the nouns ending in “-ius” and “-ium” of the second declination (Pag 48 of pdf) and I have some doubts that I would appreciate if someone could help me.

I think I have got everything strait about the singular cases except the Vocative. As example I will decline Fīlius Bonus:

Nom Fīlius bonus
Gen Fīlī bonī
Dat Fīliō bonō
Ac Fīlium bonum
Ab Fīliō bonō
Voc Fīlī bone

Is the Vocative case correct?

Now for the plurals, has the Nom plural of fīlus a double “i" termination? I would think so has the text states that the plural is regular but then the Gen singular would be different of the Nom plural, so I’m not sure. I would decline the plural like:

Nom Fīliī bonī
Gen Fīliōrum bonōrum
Dat Fīliīs bonīs
Ac Fīliōs bonōs
Ab Fīliīs bonīs
Voc Fīliī bonī

Am I correct?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Andrus.

cweb255
Textkit Fan

Post by cweb255 »

The genitive singular is filii.

Dingbats
Textkit Member

Post by Dingbats »

...but is usually retracted to fili, IIRC.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

yes, Andrus, your vocative is correct, along with your entire 2nd declension paradigm. There is indeed a (helpful) distinction between the genitive singular and nominative plural if you choose to use the contracted genitive.

-i genitive is more common during the Ciceronian era whereas the contracted -ii genitive is more common during the Augustan era. It does not really matter which one you choose to use, but I think most modern textbooks prefer the -ii for its simplicity and regularity. The accent for the contracted version falls on the same syllable as if it were not contracted.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Andrus
Textkit Member

Post by Andrus »

Salve Benissimus,

And thanks for the clarification.

Best regards.

Andrus.

Dingbats
Textkit Member

Post by Dingbats »

Andrus wrote:Salve Benissimus
Hmm... maybe you should learn to form vocatives of nouns/names in -us of teh 2nd declension first? :P

Andrus
Textkit Member

Post by Andrus »

Salve Dingbats

:oops:

You are right Dingbats, of course it should had been "Salve Benissme".

/ Slaps himself \

Andrus