Books on Synonyms

Are you learning Koine Greek, the Greek of the New Testament and most other post-classical Greek texts? Whatever your level, use this forum to discuss all things Koine, Biblical or otherwise, including grammar, textbook talk, difficult passages, and more.
anakainosis
Textkit Neophyte

Books on Synonyms

Post by anakainosis »

Greetings all,

I am looking for a resource that covers synonyms of the Greek NT and LXX. I am aware of R.C. Trench’s book; but are there other more modern works available? Or is that the only one?

Thanks in advance.

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Re: Books on Synonyms

Post by Bert »

anakainosis wrote:Greetings all,

I am looking for a resource that covers synonyms of the Greek NT and LXX. I am aware of R.C. Trench’s book; but are there other more modern works available? Or is that the only one?

Thanks in advance.
Yes, I think there is a newer book available. I'll try to get some info but that won't be right away. Maybe Saturday.

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

I can't find the information I was looking for. I'll post it if I happen to run into it.
Louw and Nida's Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament based on Semantic Domains may be of good use to you.
Because it lists the words with other ones in the same semantic domain, it is like a discussion on synonyms.

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

Found it.
Custer, Stewart. A Treasury of New Testament Synonyms.
Greenville, South Carolina: Bob Jones University
Press, 1975. 143 pages. ISBN: 0890840253

anakainosis
Textkit Neophyte

Post by anakainosis »

Thanks, I will check both sources out. :D