Hadjiantoniou's Book

Are you learning Koine Greek, the Greek of the New Testament and most other post-classical Greek texts? Whatever your level, use this forum to discuss all things Koine, Biblical or otherwise, including grammar, textbook talk, difficult passages, and more.
anakainosis
Textkit Neophyte

Hadjiantoniou's Book

Post by anakainosis »

Has anybody here gone through Dr. George Hadjiantoniou’s book, “Learning the Basics of New Testament Greek”?

Is it worth the effort?

Geoff
Textkit Fan

Post by Geoff »

A Friend of mine has it and used it in school; I'll ask him. He didn't learn much, but I'm not sure it was the textbook's fault :wink:

anakainosis
Textkit Neophyte

Post by anakainosis »

Hey Geoff, yeah let me know what you find out. I picked up a copy and the work book, maybe I’ll just go for it. If I have any problems or struggles I guess I can post them here. I am a beginner compared to most here on this forum so I will be looking foward to some help.

Take care.

Hieronymus 2k5
Textkit Neophyte

Hadjiantoniou

Post by Hieronymus 2k5 »

It's a good book, I think. I started with Summers' Essentials of New Testament Greek. It was very annoying the way he split the dative into ablative and locative and lists the same form three times under different names--it tricks you into thinking you're remembering three forms when its just one form with three possible meanings dependent on context. It was supposed to help people used to Latin, but I doubt it actually does.

Anyway, back to the point: I switched from Summers book to Hadjiantoniou’s and it was like a breath of fresh air. Its very simple and easy to use. The paradigms aren't listed in eye offending fashion as in some other books. One thing some people might not like (i think he does this, but i can't remember for sure) is that he uses the word "ye" to represent the plural-you in the translation exercises. Honestly I like that better than just saying "you" and expecting you to know that he means plural (which is what Summers did).