What do those # mean?

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Bert
Textkit Zealot

What do those # mean?

Post by Bert »

Beside the column of subjects is a column indicating the author of the message, then one with a number which I think is the number of replies to this message. What does the next number represent? This is not a very important question but it must be worth knowing if someone bothered to put them there.

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Re:What do those # mean?

Post by Jeff Tirey »

Hey Bert de Haan -<br /><br />that's the number of views<br /><br />jeff
Textkit Founder

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=Bert de Haan link=board=6;threadid=357;start=0#2620 date=1059952444]<br />What does the next number represent? [/quote]<br /><br />The second column of digits reprents the number of times that discussion thread has been viewed.<br /><br />You know, I used to have the same question about what these numbers represented when I first came to this forum. Back then, I was using the Mozilla browser, and things didn't look quite the same as they did in Internet Explorer. So I didn't see the column headers and wondered the same thing as you did.<br /><br />Then one day I was experiencing some quirks on this site using Mozilla so I switched over to Internet Explorer and it all became evident to me. <br />

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

i use moz... the text of those titles is actually white on white, which is why we can't see them... something wonky with the stylesheets so it isn't coming across in all browsers.
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

I use Internet Explorer, but there's no heading for the figures. I knew what they were because another board I frequent has similar nos.

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=klewlis link=board=6;threadid=357;start=0#2636 date=1059964238]<br />i use moz... the text of those titles is actually white on white, which is why we can't see them... something wonky with the stylesheets so it isn't coming across in all browsers.[/quote]<br /><br />White on white! Well that explains why I didn't see any text.<br /><br />I actually prefer Moz, I set it to suppress pop-ups. ;D I stopped using Moz for this forum after I experienced probs where it would log me off. It was annoying. Oddly enough, I don't experience that in IE.<br />

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=bingley link=board=6;threadid=357;start=0#2637 date=1059964635]<br />I use Internet Explorer, but there's no heading for the figures. I knew what they were because another board I frequent has similar nos.<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Hmmm...I wonder why you don't see them in IE. They're visible in my IE. But then, I'm using IE 5.0. Eeks! I should upgrade to IE 5.5 SP2 or IE 6 (bcuz IE 5.5 is no longer available in the MS site) so I can apply the latest IE patch from Microsoft. I know that W32.Mimail@mm is running wild right now... <br /><br />I'm living dangerously here... oh wait, if I wanted safety, I'd run Linux! <br /><br />

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

I"m sorry I over-looked that. Bad code in the template file to produce white on white. I have looked at this forum so much that I don't even see the obvious.<br /><br />thanks,<br />jeff
Textkit Founder

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

Talking of white on white. Could we have white as one of the colours for the fonts? On another board I frequent, we use white for whispers, asides, answers to puzzles, etc. You can usually see it's there but the only way you can read it is if you highlight it with the cursor.

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

testing<br /><br />yeah, you can do white just by selecting another colour and then putting color=White where it says color=Whatever<br /><br />but the post bg isn't *quite* white so a light grey might work best. :)
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

I use IE but couln't see the headers. When I checked to see if I could highlight them in case they were White on White on my screen, there they are, Black on White.<br />I guess our administrator is right on the ball.

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

thanks. I'm far from perfect but I do try to fix by errors.<br /><br />jeff
Textkit Founder

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito »

You do a fabulous job, Jeff. Careful, or we'll set up a poll to see if we can't *declare* you perfect!<br /><br />Kilmeny

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

thanks - but I'm far from that.<br /><br />Just shuffle through some of our grammars and start counting the missing pages or better yet.. start looking for my typos and poor grammar (i'm a terrible editor) ;) <br /><br />I have a to-do list a mile long. :P
Textkit Founder

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

[quote author=bingley link=board=6;threadid=357;start=0#2637 date=1059964635]<br />I use Internet Explorer, but there's no heading for the figures. <br />[/quote]<br /><br />It was strange-I use IE, and sometimes I can see the headings, and sometiems I can't. I guess it just depends on how my computer feels that morning. :)<br /><br />Keesa

Puella Parva
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Puella Parva »

I've always been able to see them, but I've only been here one day...soo.<br />By the way Jeff, I think you do a great job! The site is wonderful!