Canine (Spinoff from Adjective Agreement" in the Learni

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Canine (Spinoff from Adjective Agreement" in the Learni

Post by Keesa »

This is a spinoff from the thread "Adjective agreement" in the Learning Latin forum...<br /><br />As far as I can tell, my dog responds to the sounds that I give her, not to the actual commands. So, if I had trained her to respond to "Sit" in Latin, rather than English (what is the Latin for "sit", anyway?) she would recognize the sound, rather than the word...and I don't think that the adjective agreements would confuse her. She's much too smart to take up Latin. ;D (Just kidding, of course!) <br /><br />Keesa

mariek
Global Moderator

Re:Canine (Spinoff from Adjective Agreement" in the Lea

Post by mariek »

[quote author=Keesa link=board=6;threadid=421;start=0#3269 date=1060475459]<br />As far as I can tell, my dog responds to the sounds that I give her, not to the actual commands. [/quote]<br /><br />Hehe... I can only imagine how "frustrating" it must be for your friends to try to give commands in English to your dog. ;D<br /><br />I don't have a dog yet, but plan to in the future. Will have to try some Latin training then... <br />

Nihil
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Nihil »

As far as I know, the Latin verb for sit is "sedêre," so you may want to teach it, "Sedê!" for "Sit!."<br /><br />If this is wrong, perhaps one of the more expreienced members will correct me. :)

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Skylax »

sede means "remain seated". "Sit" would be side or conside. Tricky verbs.

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

Ahh! So to tell her to sit, I would say "side", and to tell her to stay, I would say "sede"? <br /><br />Side, sede, salvere dias. <br />Sit, stay, save the day. <br /><br />That, by the way, is the first time I've ever tried to construct a sentence in Latin...perhaps someone could correct it for me, if I've made mistakes? <br /><br />Keesa

Puella Parva
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Puella Parva »

[quote author=mariek link=board=6;threadid=421;start=0#3279 date=1060480945]<br />[quote author=Keesa link=board=6;threadid=421;start=0#3269 date=1060475459]<br />As far as I can tell, my dog responds to the sounds that I give her, not to the actual commands. [/quote]<br /><br />Hehe... I can only imagine how "frustrating" it must be for your friends to try to give commands in English to your dog. ;D<br /><br /> <br /><br />[/quote]<br /><br />It is!! Especially since she's a soprano!! :D

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

*from vague questionable memory* <br /><br />is save 'servare'; if so the imperative would be serva or for two dogs servate<br /><br /> ???

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Skylax »

Dias is Latin "days" as it became in Spanish. Say diem. It is not Vietnamese. <br /><br />By the way, what means "save the day", diem serva(te) ?

Nihil
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Nihil »

[quote author=Skylax link=board=6;threadid=421;start=0#3308 date=1060513013]<br />sede means "remain seated". "Sit" would be side or conside. Tricky verbs.<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Hey, I was close. ;D<br /><br />Thanks. :)

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

"Sit, stay, save the day" is a quote from a kids show my sister and I used to watch (Wishbone) which featured a talking dog...He said that a lot, and Colette and I still bat it back and forth when we're talking about the commands "sit" and "stay" in the same sentence. <br /><br />Keesa