help for motto

Are you learning Latin with Wheelock's Latin 6th Edition? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback.
dcmoore6
Textkit Neophyte

help for motto

Post by dcmoore6 »

Last summer I started to teach myself Latin using Wheelock's and was doing quite well until school started again in August, at which time I then had no time to study at all. Hopefully I can begin again this summer.

I have a friend who knows about my earnest attempt to teach myself Latin and she occasionally will come to me with a question about basic Latin. Mostly it is something I could just look up in one of my Latin books. She has asked me to come up with the translation for a motto: "We love to pursue truth." My closest and most feeble attempt would be: "veritas insistere amamus" Is this a totally lame translation? As you can see I am at the very beginning stages of learning. I really wanted to help her with this, so I decided to post here.

I hope I have not broken a rule about asking for help with translations. If any one would help me, I would be very grateful.

cweb255
Textkit Fan

Post by cweb255 »

Before you can decide on word choice, you must have at least the basics down. Veritatem... ;)

Kasper
Textkit Zealot

Post by Kasper »

Of course many translations are possible but here’s my option:

persequendum studemus veritatis

or you could use amamus- but I think this is pretty much restricted to love between people

You could use also diligimus - which means we praise/ highly esteem /love

Better still, wait for the experienced Latinists to give you a good phrase.
“Cum ego verbo utar,” Humpty Dumpty dixit voce contempta, “indicat illud quod optem – nec plus nec minus.”
“Est tamen rogatio” dixit Alice, “an efficere verba tot res indicare possis.”
“Rogatio est, “Humpty Dumpty responsit, “quae fiat magister – id cunctum est.”

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Skylax »

Veritate delectamur venanda ? (Lit. "We are pleased by hunting for the truth" [by the truth to be hunted for]" - venari "hunt" can mean "pursue").