MYTHOLOGY IN LATIN

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Fulya
Textkit Neophyte

MYTHOLOGY IN LATIN

Post by Fulya »

[size=18=12][size=18=12][size=18=12]<br /><br />hello,<br /><br />I am from Turkey. I studied economics and I was too curious about Latin that I took it as selective from the archeology department for several terms. <br /><br />What I am wondering is this: when I was studying it we were given a lot of greek mythology samples to translate into english.. I have searched the web to find similat stuff but since I am not very familiar with these topics I could not find a name of a book or a web page nothing and I cannot reach the professor as she is now in Malaysia and totally without a trace...<br /><br />I would appreciate if you could help..<br /><br />Yours,<br /><br />Fulya<br />

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Re:MYTHOLOGY IN LATIN

Post by Skylax »

hello<br /><br />Try http://www.greekmythology.com/<br />For a genealogy of the Gods :<br />http://www.forumromanum.org/mythology/genealogy.html<br /><br />If you can read German :<br />http://www.mythologica.de/<br /><br />Have fun !<br />

Fulya
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Fulya »

Thanks Skylax,<br /><br />The problem is i am searching for greek mythology in latin!!! <br /><br />take care,<br /><br />fulya

Odysseus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Odysseus »

[quote author=Fulya link=board=3;threadid=407;start=0#3144 date=1060377953]<br />Thanks Skylax,<br /><br />The problem is i am searching for greek mythology in latin!!! <br /><br />take care,<br /><br />fulya<br />[/quote]<br /><br />http://www.thelatinlibrary.com is a good place for a load of books in Latin. Of these, Virgil is a good start for mythology, but not beginners stuff.

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

Hi, Fulya. Are you looking for Greek mythology in Latin, or Roman mythology in Latin, or either one? <br /><br />Keesa

Fulya
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Fulya »

well as a matter of fact i am so alien to these issues.. i just can read in latin at an intermediate level.. i studied until we finished oxford latin course part 3.. <br /><br />i think i would like any mythology in latin but i am sure we studied the greek ones in school, hercules etc, but i dont have a preferance as long as i find something in latin.. do you know something in particular???<br /><br />thanx for latinlibrary.com advice.. there is lots of stuff there.. <br />

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Skylax »

A Latin text about (Greek) mythology :<br /><br />http://www.thelatinlibrary.com/hyginus5.html<br /><br />You know, there is no Roman Mythology strictly speaking, or it became History (a phaenomenon called "euhemerism"), like the stories of Romulus and Remus, the Horatii and the Curiatii... which convey old indo-european myths. Latin writers (Ovid, Virgil) relate Greek stories, only giving the Gods Roman names.

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

[quote author=Skylax link=board=3;threadid=407;start=0#3333 date=1060528596]<br />A Latin text about (Greek) mythology :<br /><br />http://www.thelatinlibrary.com/hyginus5.html<br /><br />You know, there is no Roman Mythology strictly speaking, or it became History (a phaenomenon called "euhemerism"), like the stories of Romulus and Remus, the Horatii and the Curiatii... which convey old indo-european myths. Latin writers (Ovid, Virgil) relate Greek stories, only giving the Gods Roman names.<br />[/quote]<br /><br />I knew that Roman mythology was an offshoot of Greek mythology, but I had thought that the Romans would have made up their own stories about the [Greek] gods. I guess not! <br /><br />What about the Aenid? Is that considered Roman mythology, or is it just considered history? <br /><br />Keesa

Fulya
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Fulya »

Hello and thanx again,<br /><br />i made a search in my old text books and i have found some mythology that i am talking about.. <br /><br />one is about how icarus got his name.. (where is this story originally?? was it written by homerus??)<br /><br />the other is how aegen sea got its name.. <br /><br />we studied a few stories on hercules but i cannot find them.. if i can i will scan these and bring them here to share them with you..<br /><br />now that i see we have read the story of cinderalla in latin too!!!<br /><br />

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Skylax »

[quote author=Keesa link=board=3;threadid=407;start=0#3338 date=1060530232]<br /><br />I knew that Roman mythology was an offshoot of Greek mythology, but I had thought that the Romans would have made up their own stories about the [Greek] gods. I guess not! <br /><br />What about the Aenid? Is that considered Roman mythology, or is it just considered history? <br /><br /><br />[/quote]<br /><br />For Livy, the Roman historian, it was history.<br /><br />For Virgil... it was a story about the time of heroes (so a more-than-true story, from a "different" time, a story which justifies what exists "now" and gives it its status (Rome is a venerable city because it was founded by heroic Trojans). This is the purpose of Mythology, too.<br /><br />For us... it is a story that emerged in Italy well before the time of Virgil, but the details are obcure... I mean I remember it not so well :-\

Fulya
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Fulya »

Hello Skylax,<br /><br />I have been reading Virgil's Aeneid from the link you have provided.. After a short search I learnt that it is the translation of the Illiad.. I cannot understand it full so I have searched for an English translation as well.. <br /><br />Did you guys learn latin just out of curiosity or is it related with your studies/jobs??<br /><br />Regards,<br /><br />Fulya

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

Keep at the Aeneid, fulya. It's not really a translation of the Iliad, more of a what happened next. Like the Odyssey tells how the Greeks got home, the Aeneid tells what happened to refugees from Troy.

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

It's fascinating, too, although I've only read it in English, and I haven't even read all of it. I'm looking forwards to reading it in Latin, that's for sure! <br /><br />Keesa