Conversation & Correspondence in Greek/Latin

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Elucubrator
Global Moderator

Conversation & Correspondence in Greek/Latin

Post by Elucubrator »

This would be a new Forum where posts will be written entirely in Greek or Latin. Post your own compositions: your stories, your poems, that so far secretly guarded epic of yours on the marriages -- many and sad -- of miss Elizabeth Taylor!!!  <br /><br />Engage in philosophical discussions in the language of philosophy! Parade your talents in sophistry! Engage as well in simple chit chat in the "sermo plebis."  <br /><br />The forum would be dedicated to communication in the ancient tongues at all levels. Corrections on syntax and grammar and so forth would be given only if requested, and should be asked about only when a post is so barbaric as to be incomprehensible. <br /><br />The main goal is communication rather than grammatico-syntactical purity, which is to say, that you should not be afraid of participating if you do not know that much Greek or Latin. Participation would be open to all levels. <br /><br />This is intended as a means by which we can all improve our languages. Still, posts will be required to be in Greek or Latin, and so your questions on grammar, syntax, etc. are to be made in the regular Greek and Latin Fora, unless you wish to post them here in Latin and Greek. I hope you will wish to participate,<br /><br />yours,<br />Seba

Odysseus
Textkit Neophyte

Re:Conversation & Correspondence in Greek/Latin

Post by Odysseus »

The only concern I would have is having too many forums could splinter attention from a forum which doesn't have that huge a number of posts anyway.<br /><br />Fantastic idea to have conversations, etc though.

Elucubrator
Global Moderator

Re:Conversation & Correspondence in Greek/Latin

Post by Elucubrator »

Hey!!! Welcome back to the group! :)<br />Thanks for voting. It's really important to know how everyone feels about these things, so that Textkit continues to be a site that we all love. <br /><br />In response to your fear. The purpose of the new board is only to provide an area for dialogue in Latin/Greek. I don't think that if we should set up such a room, that everyone will abandon the other boards only to participate in Latin on this one. And it's not the number of posts on a board that should be a concern, but the quality of the posts.<br /><br />Basically I feel that good ideas and interesting topics will stimulate interesting discussions no matter what board they should appear in. Why not give it a try? Don't be worried about suddenly not having any help with your studies because nobody will speak to you in English any more.<br /><br />well, my friend, it's good to hear from you. I've been sleepless lately and keeping funny hours, but if I can find a way back to a normal schedule I probably won't run into you online that often, since you live on the other side of the pond.<br /><br />take care,<br />hope to read you again soon,<br />on any of the boards,<br /><br />Seba<br /><br />PD Continued luck and good wishes with the helicopter lessons ;)<br /><br />PPD Really, REALLY! Appreciate the time taken to vote and respond.<br />(yeah, that was indirect criticism of the slackers) ;D