Needed a workbook

Are you reading Homeric Greek? Whether you are a total beginner or an advanced Homerist, here you can meet kindred spirits. Besides Homer, use this board for all things early Greek poetry.
Timotheus
Textkit Member

Needed a workbook

Post by Timotheus »

I would like to have more excersises instead of just those in "Pharr's homeric Greek"

I find the more excersises i do the more I hold onto mentally. However, I am not ready to push forward until I work more at the lesson I am on.

For Instance working in First Declension there is singular dual and plural Paradigms. Teh next lesson deals with verb congugation.

I still want to work more with the paradigms of the first declension as well as drive the Vocabulary deeper.

I know that by plodding along I will have all the work i want but it would be nice to have a workbook along with the text.

also the grammer in the back of the book for the most part I get but a little further explanation would be nice to have. But i know that is what the forum is about, asking questions and getting answers, but sometimes I like to read with pictures :lol:

psilord
Textkit Member

Post by psilord »

I was just thinking about making such a thing to help my own learning out of the Pharr book. Basically, it was going to take the form of a set of reviews which you would do after certain points in the book, like just before lesson 13. If you would help me create content for the first installment, I can format it up into LaTeX and make a pdf out of it.

Kerastes
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Needed a workbook

Post by Kerastes »

Timotheus wrote:I would like to have more excersises instead of just those in "Pharr's homeric Greek"
Glutton for punishment, eh?
I still want to work more with the paradigms of the first declension as well as drive the Vocabulary deeper.
In the big picture, it's not always necessary to learn every single word in the First Book of the Iliad. In fact, according to The Chicago Homer, there are at least 29 words in Pharr you will never see anywhere else in Homer. On the other hand, it's annoying to have to look words up in the vocabulary. My advice, use flashcards, either physical ones or software that does the same thing. I'm investigating the latter.

As for declension, one of the things that happens in a classroom is recitation of paradigms. To simulate this, decline a different noun every day (or a couple of times a day) before working on exercises. So with conjugating a verb. The only thing missing would be someone to correct your work. Those accents can be tricky.
also the grammer in the back of the book for the most part I get but a little further explanation would be nice to have. But i know that is what the forum is about, asking questions and getting answers, but sometimes I like to read with pictures :lol:
If you want more detail, look it up in the corresponding parts of Smyth's Greek Grammar available on this site. Be advised that for the most part, he's talking about Attic Greek and pointing out respects in which Homeric Greek differs.

Kerastes

Timotheus
Textkit Member

Post by Timotheus »

I have made the flashcards. that is a help!

But what I have not thought of is conjugating out a new word every day. That I like!!!

Never having had a class in Greek (or any language, really) what else happens? What kind of excercises? perhaps I could role play this in order to 'set' it into my mind.