I down loaded SPIonic howevernit doesnt look greek

Are you reading Homeric Greek? Whether you are a total beginner or an advanced Homerist, here you can meet kindred spirits. Besides Homer, use this board for all things early Greek poetry.
Timotheus
Textkit Member

I down loaded SPIonic howevernit doesnt look greek

Post by Timotheus »

I down loaded SPIonic however it doesnt look like a greek font to me.

it looks like boul\h or is that what it is supposed to look like, and what I need to do is learn another writing scheme?

Paul
Textkit Zealot

Post by Paul »

Hi,

You need to learn the close approximation to Betacode that we use here; please see viewtopic.php?t=111.

The SPIonic font 'maps' these characters to their corresponding Greek glyphs.

When posting, enclose your Greek in tags like this (here using the first word of the Iliad):

μῆνιν

When the post is viewed, this sequence will look something like this:

μῆνιν

It helps to make the Greek text larger, e.g.,

μῆνιν which looks like this:

μῆνιν

Finally, the 'Post a reply' user interface has some 'Font Setting' select lists that can save you the time of typing these size and font tags.

I hope this is the info you were looking for.

Cordially,

Paul

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Also, make sure that you downloaded the font to your Fonts folder (under the Windows folder for Windows users).
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

Hehe, I found out with what magic Paul have conjured up passive code strings for the examples, which would appear in Greek if you simply quote them.
Normally if you type
μαγικὸς κύριος μυστοαίλουρος

it will appear as

μαγικὸς κύριος μυστοαίλουρος

Bardo de Saldo
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Bardo de Saldo »

When I read your threads, I don't see the greek alphabet, but the latin one with back-slashes, etc. Is it because I haven't installed SPIonic?

My Windows XP OS comes with both modern and polytonic greek. Using the accents, breathings, etc. in the polytonic keyboard is a big hassle, but writing in capital letters is very easy, and one can always say: "yeah, I only use capitals, like the old-timers". Can a Mac or Linux user tell me if he/she sees the following sentence in the greek alphabet?

ΤΙΣ Τ ΑΡ ΣΦΩΕ ΘΕΩΝ ΕΡΙΔΙ ΞΥΝΕΗΚΕ ΜΑΧΕΣΘΑΙ;

Adelheid
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Adelheid »

Bardo de Saldo wrote:When I read your threads, I don't see the greek alphabet, but the latin one with back-slashes, etc. Is it because I haven't installed SPIonic?
I think all you need to do is indeed download a spionic font. Check this viewtopic.php?t=111 for some info.

Regards,
Adelheid

Timotheus
Textkit Member

Post by Timotheus »

Ok I got it --- finally-- :)

not only did I have to download it but I had to get it moved over into my fonts folder which was "more luck than pluck".

But now everything is showing in a greek font instead of various sizes of latin letters and symbols.

Thatnks all :D :D :D :D :!: