Question for D'ooge "Graduates"

Are you learning Latin with D'Ooge's Beginners Latin Book? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback and comments from others.
LisaNYork
Textkit Neophyte

Question for D'ooge "Graduates"

Post by LisaNYork »

Hi everyone,

I have been reading a lot about the differing goals of Latin study. Some state it is a means to better understand English and others assert that it *should* be to prepare us to read the Latin Classics - period.
Upon completing the D'ooge text, did you find you were able to tackle the Latin Classics, or did you need to embark on further study?
thanks!
Lisa

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

I recommend trying to read the originals now, but you will probably need cliffnotes and it will take some practice and maybe review to get good at it.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

LisaNYork
Textkit Neophyte

Post by LisaNYork »

benissimus wrote:I recommend trying to read the originals now, but you will probably need cliffnotes and it will take some practice and maybe review to get good at it.
I need to clarify - I have only begun my study w/the D'ooge text.
I am nowhere near being able to read the Classics. :o

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

I recommend after D'Ooge: http://www.textkit.com/learn/ID/99/author_id/37/ - the finer details of latin grammar. Then with the help of a dictionary you should be able to read the Gallic War, not brilliantly as every one including me has difficulties with any text.

LisaNYork
Textkit Neophyte

Oh, there you are!

Post by LisaNYork »

Episcopus wrote:I recommend after D'Ooge: http://www.textkit.com/learn/ID/99/author_id/37/ - the finer details of latin grammar. Then with the help of a dictionary you should be able to read the Gallic War, not brilliantly as every one including me has difficulties with any text.
Hi, Episcopus!

I was wondering if you were still on this board. I was told by another poster that you are. Glad to "see" you! I didn't remember your name, but did remember your avatar. Have you been able to tackle Ovid, Vergil, etc., yet?
I have been reading up on the text "Learn to Read Latin", which is supposed to have you well on your way to reading the Classics once completed.
Lisa

Kasper
Textkit Zealot

Post by Kasper »

Vergil I wouldn't recommend too soon, but Ovid I would. The only thing is that grammars don't really prepare you for poetry and the word order will seem... insane. But you get used to that!

If you intend to read poetry it is really useful to get some practice at writing in metre yourself, it greatly increases your appreciation for the art. WhiteOctave has written a great piece on latin elegiac meter, which I understand is what Ovid almost always used (i believe with the exception of Metamorphosis or Heroids - not sure which one).

However, regardless of what you start with, you're going to have to learn vocabulary. Every writer has his own and this will make the reading very slow at first. I've been studying latin for about a year and half now and I've just started on Ovid: it takes me about half an hour to read only 50 lines! However, slowly it is getting quicker and I'm enjoying it more.

A grammar only opens a door, then there is a long walk ahead.
“Cum ego verbo utar,” Humpty Dumpty dixit voce contempta, “indicat illud quod optem – nec plus nec minus.”
“Est tamen rogatio” dixit Alice, “an efficere verba tot res indicare possis.”
“Rogatio est, “Humpty Dumpty responsit, “quae fiat magister – id cunctum est.”

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Indeed - the 'walk' ahead I found to be vocabulary and sensitivity to the latin idiom, which can only come from surrounding oneself with the language, whether you write or read (I chose to write). However, I have read alone selections of Ovid, Vergil, Tacitus, Caesar and Cicero. I suppose if I were an avid reader I would attempt more. There is always difficulty, an loeb rather than the raw text is necessary. I am currently reading some of younger Seneca's letters which are odd in places but enlightening in others.

LisaNYork
Textkit Neophyte

Post by LisaNYork »

Thanks for your responses. I read a translation of the Aenid, and thought it was beautiful. I guess that is what I am aiming for.
I was hoping that finishing D'ooge would at least give me a good start. :)