Textkit Logo

periphrastic pluperfect

Here's where you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

periphrastic pluperfect

Postby bingley » Thu Aug 07, 2003 4:42 am

I'm working my way a little at a time through Lysias' [face=SPIonic] (Upe\r tou= )Eratosqe/nouj fo/nou a)pologi/a[/face], which is a reader from a series "A Greek Prose Reading Course for Post-Beginners". <br /><br />In sections 9-10 we have this:<br />[face=SPIonic] e)peidh\ de\ to\ paidi/on e)ge/neto h(mi=n, h( mh/thr au)to\ e)qh/lazen: <br />i(/na de\ mh/, o(po/te lou=sqai de/oi, kinduneu/h| kata\ th=j kli/makoj katabai/nousa, e)gw\ me\n a)/nw dih|tw/mhn, ai( de\ gunai=kej ka/tw. kai\ ou(/twj h)/dh suneiqisme/non h)=n, w(/ste polla/kij h( gunh\ <br />a)ph/|ei ka/tw kaqeudh/sousa w(j to\ paidi/on, i(/na to\n titqo\n <br />au)tw=| didw=| kai\ mh\ boa=|.[/face]<br /><br />My query is on [face=SPIonic]suneiqisme/non h)=n[/face], which the notes describe as a periphrastic pluperfect. Could anyone point me to more information on the use of the periphrastic pluperfect as I've not come across this before?
bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Re:periphrastic pluperfect

Postby klewlis » Thu Aug 07, 2003 5:12 am

a couple of hints from Wallace ("Greek Grammar Beyond the Basics", focused on NT)<br /><br />pluperfect periphrastic = eimi in the indicative + a perfect participle<br /><br />"the periphrastic constructions often resemble an imperfect more than an aorist in translation."<br /><br />it gives a couple of NT examples too, that I can post if you're interested.
klewlis
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby bingley » Thu Aug 07, 2003 5:45 am

Yes, please. If no-one objects to Koine in a classic thread. ;D
bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby Jeff Tirey » Thu Aug 07, 2003 12:06 pm

Hi Bingley:<br /><br />Goodwin's Greek Grammar has a little bit to say about this. Here's a link to the index to find everything in the grammar about periphrastic forms:<br /><br />http://montgomery.cas.muohio.edu/textkit/WWG_greek_grammar.pdf#page=483<br /><br />And of course Smyth has a lot to say about this topic. His grammar is coming....<br /><br />I didn't see the periphrastic pluperfect covered in Goodwin but it is covered in Smyth.<br /><br />jeff
Textkit Founder
Jeff Tirey
Administrator
Administrator

Postby bingley » Thu Aug 07, 2003 4:04 pm

Goodwin section 448 mentions that where the third person plural ending for the pluperfect indicative middle/passive -[face=SPIonic]nto[/face] results in something impossible to pronounce, a periphrastic participle + [face=SPIonic]h)=san[/face] is used.<br /><br />However, section 490.3 has [face=SPIonic]e)qi/zw[/face] as an example and gives the normal 3rd person singular pluperfect indicative middle/passive form [face=SPIonic]ei)qisto[/face], rather than the [face=SPIonic]suneiqisme/non h)=n[/face] in this passage.<br /><br />So thanks for trying, but I'm not much further forward. :-\
bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby Skylax » Fri Aug 08, 2003 11:38 am

[face=SPIonic]suneiqisme/non[/face] could be considered a nominalized participle, meaning "an usual thing", an habit. It would be the same as [face=SPIonic]ei)ko/j[/face] "a likely (or "normal") thing" in the phrase [face=SPIonic]ei)ko/j e)stin[/face]
Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby Paul » Fri Aug 08, 2003 3:21 pm

Hi,<br /><br />[face=SPIonic]suneiqisme/non[/face] would appear to be a perfect participle passive of <br />[face=SPIonic]suneqi/zw[/face] here meaning something like "having been made accustomed".<br /><br />Smyth 599 has a brief discussion of periphrastic forms.<br />599d states that "..the perfect or pluperfect passive is often paraphrased by the perfect participle and [face=SPIonic]e)sti/[/face] or [face=SPIonic]h)=n[/face].."<br /><br />Cordially,<br /><br />Paul
Paul
Textkit Zealot

Postby bingley » Sat Aug 09, 2003 3:58 am

Does he give any clues as to whether it's a stylistic thing, totally random, or imparts some particular nuance?
bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby Paul » Sun Aug 10, 2003 3:12 am

Hi,<br /><br />For pluperfect indicative active, Smyth does say that the periphrastic forms denote a state rather than an action.<br /><br />But he's mum about the pluperfect passive.<br /><br />Cordially,<br /><br />Paul
Paul
Textkit Zealot

Postby bingley » Sun Aug 10, 2003 7:07 am

Right, thanks for that everyone.
bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Return to Learning Greek