M&F Unit 9

Are you learning Latin with Latin: An Intensive Course by Moreland and Fleischer? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback.
bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

M&F Unit 9

Post by bingley »

The subject of this unit is comparatives and superlatives.<br /><br />I'm not sure about this example sentence:<br /><br />Plus pecuniae hominibus melioribus optandum est quam peioribus.<br /><br />I make it: <br />More money is to be desired by the better people rather than the worse (people).<br /><br />Can quam be used to mean rather than?

benissimus
Global Moderator

Re:M&F Unit 9

Post by benissimus »

I think it is plus + quam to mean "more than"<br /><br />More money is to be desired by the better people than by the worse.<br /><br />Same thing, basically.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

Thank you.<br /><br />Either way it's a very strange sentiment.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Yeah, what is that book trying to teach you anyways? :P
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

It gets more bizarre.<br /><br />Sed nil dulcius est, bene quam munita tenere opinionibus sapientium templa serena.<br /><br />Which I tentatively translate as:<br /><br />But nothing is sweeter than to possess serene temples well fortified by the opinions of the wise.<br /><br />but what on earth does it mean? ???<br /><br />It may not be entirely a coincidence that demens dementis is one of the vocabulary items introduced in this unit. :-\

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Skylax »

[quote author=bingley link=board=3;threadid=400;start=0#3096 date=1060334797]<br />It gets more bizarre.<br /><br />Sed nil dulcius est, bene quam munita tenere opinionibus sapientium templa serena.<br /><br />Which I tentatively translate as:<br /><br />But nothing is sweeter than to possess serene temples well fortified by the opinions of the wise.<br /><br />[/quote]<br /><br />Bingo ! Your translation is perfect. :) The sentence refers to the philosophers who taught how not to be affected by the ups and downs of life (Stoics, Epicureans, etc).<br /><br />Templa doesn't mean "temples" of Gods but "regions", "lands", "delimited places". It is a metaphor of the psychological state generated by the appropriate way of thinking.

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

[quote author=Skylax link=board=3;threadid=400;start=0#3115 date=1060349064]<br />[quote author=bingley link=board=3;threadid=400;start=0#3096 date=1060334797]<br />It gets more bizarre.<br /><br />Sed nil dulcius est, bene quam munita tenere opinionibus sapientium templa serena.<br /><br />Which I tentatively translate as:<br /><br />But nothing is sweeter than to possess serene temples well fortified by the opinions of the wise.<br /><br />[/quote]<br /><br />Bingo ! Your translation is perfect. :) The sentence refers to the philosophers who taught how not to be affected by the ups and downs of life (Stoics, Epicureans, etc).<br /><br />Templa doesn't mean "temples" of Gods but "regions", "lands", "delimited places". It is a metaphor of the psychological state generated by the appropriate way of thinking.<br />[/quote]<br /><br />I must be at that stage where I understand the words, just have no idea what people are talking about. I've been there before in other languages. :D<br /><br />I do think it's sneaky, though, introducing such a metaphorical concept without any explanation in a unit that presents templum as a vocabulary item for the first time.

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

That sounds like a strange book! What book is it?

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=Keesa link=board=3;threadid=400;start=0#3266 date=1060475000]<br />That sounds like a strange book! What book is it? <br />[/quote]<br /><br />They're referring to Latin: An Intensive Course by Rita M. Fleischer and Floyd L. Moreland (ISBN: 0520031830). I've flipped through it at a bookstore and it looks really good. Everyone here refers to the book as "M&F". :)<br /><br />

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

And here are my answers to the translate into Latin exercise for this unit. All corrections/comments welcome.<br /><br />1. The rather humble guest, who had been attacked by the raving inhabitants in the middle of the city, had to fortify the temple as well as possible in order that he might be safe.<br />Ut tutus esset, hospes humilior qui ab incolis dementibus in media urbe oppugnatus erat, templum quam optime munire debuit.<br /><br />2. It is said that gossip is a much more evil thing than cruel war.<br />Dicitur rumorem multo peiorem bello crudeli.<br /><br />3. The king's very healthy brother feels that the constellations are brighter than the fires in the streets of this city.<br />Frater sanissimus regis sidera quam ignes in viis eius urbis multo clariorius fulgere sentit.<br /><br />4. These soldiers are very much better in strength than those.<br />Hi milites meliores vi sunt quam illi.<br /><br />5. At that time he would have very easily overcome the brave soldiers if (his) rather heavy arms had not fallen from (his) very strong hands.<br />Eo tempore milites fortes facillime superavisset si arma graviora manibus validissimis non cecidissent.<br /><br />At this stage I have my own theory as to why the inhabitants were raving ;D<br />