Just curious

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Bert
Textkit Zealot

Just curious

Post by Bert »

I am trying to read Greek without translating the words in my head. It is going okay, untill I get to a sentence like line 26 of the Iliad. Even knowing the meaning, I cannot read this line from left to right without analyzing which word belongs to which. The object of the preposition before the preposition, [size=150]ἐγὼ between and adjective and its noun, the object of the sentence right at the beginning. I am curious if you seasoned Greek students (or shall I say, Greek scholars) can read this line and know what it means without having to go back and analyze it to death.

annis
Textkit Zealot

Re:Just curious

Post by annis »

[quote author=Bert de Haan link=board=2;threadid=399;start=0#3081 date=1060305857]<br />I am curious if you seasoned Greek students (or shall I say, Greek scholars) can read this line and know what it means without having to go back and analyze it to death.<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Yes. But not when I saw it first. Or even fourth or fifth. :)<br /><br />--<br />wm,<br />still a student
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

Ptolemaios
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Ptolemaios »

I just tried, and it worked out pretty nicely; but then I realised I had read already before (four years ago). I can't remember if I could read it without analyzing it the first time I saw this line.<br /><br />One important point in reading without analyzing is how fast one can read: when one doesn't have to consciously analyze e.g. [size=150]κοιληισι as Dat.Pl.F., reading speed is much higher; then the connection with the [size=150]νηυσι follows more easily, because the time between reading the words is shorter.<br /><br />Ptolemaios

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

Thank you. Maybe a year or two from now, when I am a little more comfortable with the language, I'll be able to do it as well.