Would D'ooge be okay for children?

Are you learning Latin with D'Ooge's Beginners Latin Book? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback and comments from others.
LisaNYork
Textkit Neophyte

Would D'ooge be okay for children?

Post by LisaNYork »

Hi,

I was thinking of using this to teach a small group of students whose ages are 11 - 14. Would the D'ooge text be too difficult for them?
One of my other considerations was Henle.
thanks!
Lisa

Marcus Regulus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Marcus Regulus »

I am just starting out and I find D'OOGE very easy to follow, whether or not it's good for the age group you state, I don't know. My wife thinks I haven't grown up at times :D . So maybe it would work.

ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ingrid70 »

I think both D'Ooge and Collar and Daniell were originally meant to teach children of that age; they are after all, old school textbooks. I don't know what they taught at primary school at that time though, so you might have to go slow on some things.

Ingrid

Meowth
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Meowth »

Marcus Regulus wrote: My wife thinks I haven't grown up at times :D . So maybe it would work.
LOL :)

LisaNYork
Textkit Neophyte

Post by LisaNYork »

ingrid70 wrote:I think both D'Ooge and Collar and Daniell were originally meant to teach children of that age; they are after all, old school textbooks. I don't know what they taught at primary school at that time though, so you might have to go slow on some things.

Ingrid
Thanks!
Do you prefer one over the other for teaching Latin to children?
Lisa

ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ingrid70 »

I think the Collar and Daniell book presumes more knowledge than D'Ooge, so the latter might be the easiest to start with. You could use the exercises from the other book to supplement where necessary, and the colloquia for extra reading practice.

Ingrid

Marcus Regulus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Marcus Regulus »

I think both D'Ooge and Collar and Daniell were originally meant to teach children of that age; they are after all, old school textbooks. I don't know what they taught at primary school at that time though, so you might have to go slow on some things.
I just noticed something that D'ooge was working at Michigan State right down the road from where I live. If what you say is true he wrote it as educational material for Junior High School in the U.S. Yipe! Talk about the effect of low expectations on our youth. I don't even think we offer foreign or ancient languages anymore at that level. :oops:

HSingTnK
Textkit Neophyte

Classical Education

Post by HSingTnK »

>>>>Talk about the effect of low expectations on our youth. I don't even think we offer foreign or ancient languages anymore at that level. <<<

Education was much more classical in times go by. I have been researching Classical Home-Education to beef up our homeschool adventure a bit more. Its really amazing how the focus for younger children (under 10) has changed and how we expect so little from even our brightest preteens and teenagers!

I've noticed some mistakes I've made, especially with my youngest (bio) child. But I am intent on giving my children (present and future) as close to a classical education as I possibly can. There really is no reason to expect so little intellectually from our younger generation. With good discipline and teaching, they could handle it and still have what we consider "a good childhood." I don't think we should be sacrificing their educations for standardized testing and the pursuit of "being a child" though. Balance has always been the best choice and needs to be again.

JMO,

Marcus Regulus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Marcus Regulus »

HSingTnK,
There really is no reason to expect so little intellectually from our younger generation. With good discipline and teaching, they could handle it and still have what we consider "a good childhood." I don't think we should be sacrificing their educations for standardized testing and the pursuit of "being a child" though. Balance has always been the best choice and needs to be again.
Well spoken, I couldn't agree more, My children go to public School, but I definitely teach them stuff on the side as well that is more classical in its approach. The funny thing is they do well at it.