NT MSS

Are you learning Koine Greek, the Greek of the New Testament and most other post-classical Greek texts? Whatever your level, use this forum to discuss all things Koine, Biblical or otherwise, including grammar, textbook talk, difficult passages, and more.
cweb255
Textkit Fan

NT MSS

Post by cweb255 »

Anyone, anyone at all, know anything about the NT MSS? I'm translating the Bible, and I'm trying to find transcriptions of them. I'd rather not use only Textus-Receptus or Westcott-Hort... Any idea?

Geoff
Textkit Fan

Post by Geoff »

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking. I'm not extremely soaked in textual criticism, but I know the basics. I would reccomend getting Farstad and hodges Majority text. I like Maurice Robinson's Byzantine best, but the perk of Farstad Hodges is the textual notes (they show which text family each variant comes from).

If your really interested in the evidence for each verse get a UBS and follow the notes.

cole
Textkit Neophyte

Re: NT MSS

Post by cole »

The standard texts used to translate the NT today would be the NA27 or the UBS4. No translater today uses the WH text, much less the TR.

Also, the Hodges and Farstad Majority Text is used only by a small minority of scholars. The only translation I know of that uses it is the NKJV. Most scholars today go for the NA-UBS texts.

Dunedain
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Dunedain »

I am actually an Aramaic primacist; but I value the Greek mss. and have a pretty fair knowledge of them. You could use any of them for a translation base.

If you would like access to several texts, try out

http://www.bibles.org.uk/pdf/bibles/Greek/

where you will find a number of typeset pdfs for download. Even better is

http://www.bibles.org.uk/pdf/bibles/00README.shtml

where you will find facsimiles of Codex Alex., Sinai., Vatic., Erasmus., 1550 Steph., 1881 Scriv., and more (even a Panin!). A gem of a site.

cweb255
Textkit Fan

Post by cweb255 »

Ooh! Ooh! An Aramaic primacist. Quick question: Peshitta Primacist?

Dunedain
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Dunedain »

Thank you for the invite, cweb255. I will have a look when time permits.

Quick answer: Peshitta primacist.

cweb255
Textkit Fan

Post by cweb255 »

Ah, well, you're always welcome there. Follow up to your answer - how can you claim to be a peshitta primacist when the old aramaic sinaiticus text has far more evidence of being primary to Aramaic? But alas, please don't answer here. We shall take this debate to another forum. :wink:

Dunedain
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Dunedain »

Greetings cweb255, I would be happy to discuss the issue. I will start a thread at your site when time permits.

Kopio
Global Moderator

Post by Kopio »

Geoff wrote:I'm not exactly sure what you're asking. I'm not extremely soaked in textual criticism, but I know the basics. I would reccomend getting Farstad and hodges Majority text. I like Maurice Robinson's Byzantine best, but the perk of Farstad Hodges is the textual notes (they show which text family each variant comes from).
I had the extreme pleasure of meeting Maurice Robinson at last year's ETS in San Antonio. We got to sit and chat for a while about publishing his text on our new software platform. He said there is a forthcoming print version of his text with an apparatus (cause to salivate IMHO), he was also one of the kindest upstanding gentlemen that I have had the pleasure of meeting (and for the record, yes, I am a big supporter of his text-critical theories)
cole wrote:Also, the Hodges and Farstad Majority Text is used only by a small minority of scholars.
As the eclectic or Alexandrian priority crowd would point out, the fact that there is only a small minority supporting one view means nothing (we cannot merely count heads--ala Aland), and there are some very competent scholars out there that hold to a majority view (NOT a TR only KJV olny view....I think they have made a mockery of Maurice's type of scholarship), that have taken on the traditional WH views and come up with some interesting theories.....

Guenevera
Textkit Neophyte

Re: NT MSS

Post by Guenevera »

cole wrote:No translater today uses the WH text, much less the TR.
On the contrary, the Textus Receptus is the only Greek text the Trinitarian Bible Society uses. Have a look at:

The Lord Gave the Word: A Study in the History of the Biblical Text, http://www.trinitarianbiblesociety.org/ ... veword.asp

and

What Today's Christian needs to know about the Greek New Testament, http://www.trinitarianbiblesociety.org/ ... grktxt.asp .

Also other articles on the same website.

cweb255
Textkit Fan

Post by cweb255 »

Let it be rephrased that no scholarly translator uninfluenced by dogmatic theology uses Textus-Receptus.

Kopio
Global Moderator

Post by Kopio »

cweb255 wrote:Let it be rephrased that no scholarly translator uninfluenced by dogmatic theology uses Textus-Receptus.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

cweb255
Textkit Fan

Post by cweb255 »

Just a note for you guys, here's a thread from my older forum that we were able to salvage about UBS coming out with a Text-Critical version of the Byzantine Text.

http://neonostalgia.com/forum/index.php?topic=7.0