2 Thess 2:7

Are you learning Koine Greek, the Greek of the New Testament and most other post-classical Greek texts? Whatever your level, use this forum to discuss all things Koine, Biblical or otherwise, including grammar, textbook talk, difficult passages, and more.
Dunedain
Textkit Neophyte

2 Thess 2:7

Post by Dunedain »

Could anyone tell me who γένηται is refering to? More importantly, how you know.

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

It has to be the "man of lawlessness" in verse 3. Those verses are talking about how this person is being restrained and then that he will continue to be restrained until he is taken out of the way.

Without the context the greek is ambiguous, but the context makes it pretty clear.
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Dunedain
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Dunedain »

Thanks for the reply klewlis. I've only studied Greek eclectically, when my attention is drawn to a certain subject. Recently it was drawn to this passage. In my research I've come across a number of exegetical works which state what you have stated. The reason being given is that the verb is transitive to the subject of the passage, ie the lawless.

But there is never given an actual criteria for determining how to identify such a transitive verb. I have downloaded all of the Greek grammars a good while ago and cannot find any reference to this particular subject.

Would you, or anyone, be able to tell me if this is true; and, if so, how you have recognized this as a transitive?

swiftnicholas
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by swiftnicholas »

Rodney Decker's diagram of this section might be helpful:

http://faculty.bbc.edu/rdecker/documents/2th2_1d.pdf

Dana and Mantey talk about identifying transitive and intransitive verbs in Section 151 of "A Manual Grammar of the Greek New Testament."

It seems to me that because the use of the middle voice refers the outcome of the action back to the subject, it might help to indicate transitiveness. Is that accurate?