Textkit Logo

Love of Wisdom: Plato #2, Really Reasonable People

Philosophers and rhetoricians, Welcome!

Love of Wisdom: Plato #2, Really Reasonable People

Postby blueskyboris » Sat Feb 12, 2005 2:54 am

"SOCRATES: But my dear Crito, why should we pay so much attention to what 'most people' think? The really reasonable people, who have more claim to be considered, will believe that the facts are exactly as they are.
SOCRATES: I only wish that ordinary people had an unlimited capacity for doing harm; then they might have an unlimited power for doing good, which be a splendid thing, it it were so. Actually, they have neither. They cannot make a man wise or stupid; they simply act at random.
SOCRATES: When a man is in training, and taking it seriously, does he pay attention to all praise and criticism and opinion indiscrimately, or only when it comes from the one qualified person, the actual doctor or trainer?
blueskyboris
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Turpissimus » Sat Feb 12, 2005 3:09 am

I know you!

What's your point? Everyone here is well aware that Socrates was not exactly the most democratically minded of philosophers.

EDIT: Not necessarily anything wrong with that.

When a man is in training, and taking it seriously, does he pay attention to all praise and criticism and opinion indiscrimately, or only when it comes from the one qualified person, the actual doctor or trainer?

The reasonableness of this quote depends, I suppose, on who we identify as "the actual doctor or trainer" - sometimes it is obvious and reasonable, othertimes less so.
phpbb
Turpissimus
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby blueskyboris » Sat Feb 12, 2005 4:36 am

Er, sorry for the double thread post... not sure how that happened... Please repost in my 'A Man In Training' thread, Turpissimus.

Where do you know me from?
blueskyboris
Textkit Neophyte

Return to The Academy