favourite learning tools

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
klewlis
Global Moderator

favourite learning tools

Post by klewlis »

Just curious as to what kinds of different tools everyone uses for language learning. Maybe we can all find some new stuff. As for me:<br /><br />Latin - <br />Wheelock<br />Vocab flashcards (courtesy of Vis-Ed)<br />Learn Latin Now! cdrom<br />occasionally Crammer (http://www.korzh.com/crammer/index.shtml)<br />Textkit, of course<br /><br />Koine - <br />vocab flashcards (again, Vis-Ed)<br />Kubo's Reader's Lexicon<br />QuickmemGreek for vocab (http://www.headthirst.com/greek.shtml)<br />Parsons Greek Tutor cdrom<br />Metzger's Lexical Aids<br />a ton of other books and stuff :)<br />
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Re:favourite learning tools

Post by Milito »

Latin.... M&F, Bennett, a couple of dictionaries, and some actual Latin texts, with a translation around for assistance if necessary, and an "English Grammar for Students of Latin"...... And Textkit is invaluable!<br /><br />I do have the "Latin Now" CDROM set, but haven't looked at it for a while. <br /><br />Kilmeny

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

I saw a booth at the local mall recently that sold Rosetta Stone language learning computer software. They have them for a lot of different languages and I was very surprised to see a series for Latin! Anyone have thoughts on their software? Is it efficacious for learning Latin or is it a waste of money? Their software is on the pricey side. :(

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

I haven't tried the Rosetta Stone software... I remember looking at it but probably turned it down because of the price. I love the Latin Now software and it is only about $60. It's great for beginners like me... I don't know what more advanced people would think. It starts you out slowly with reading simple stories and then gradually works you up to more difficult passages. There is audio for everything, so sometimes I will close my eyes and listen instead of read, as that helps my listening comprehension. It also has little games to help drill on vocab and form. I definitely recommend it.
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Check my post about half-way down the page:<br /><br />http://www.textkit.com/greek_latin_foru ... 60#1853<br /><br />Some other people listed resources as well.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carola »

Various Textkit Latin books (I just look in all of them if I am getting confused - that way I get really confused). CT Lewis dictionary (not the 20 kilo one - the shorter version), some old Latin books from 2nd hand shops i.e. school text books etc, the reams of notes we get from university. The program "Words" which you can download is great if you get really stuck because you don't reconise the verb in some strange form (derivatives of fero, tuli latum etc). I often find that if I don't understand something, reading about it in several different sources can really help because one of them is going to "click" in your brain, then when you re-read your favourite textbook it will all seem blindingly obvious!

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

As far as Latin goes-Textkit, and Textkit only, if only because I just started a few days ago, and haven't had time to look at any other resources. <br /><br />As far as Greek goes, I have a site where I can find the Greek verses of the New Testament (but it's Koine, not Classical :(), and a reader, called "Beginner's Greek Reader", or something like that-I can't reccomend it, because I haven't finished it yet, but I have to say that I don't think I would have gotten very far with it if I hadn't discovered Textkit. It's a little confusing for a beginner, and you do have to have a Greek-English dictionary to use it. <br /><br />Then, of course, I have Textkit, my ultimate Classical Languages Learning tool. (I mean, really-have you ever tried asking a reader how to pronounce the words it contains? It's like talking to a brick wall. ;D) <br /><br />Keesa

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito »

[quote author=benissimus link=board=6;threadid=370;start=0#2829 date=1060102275]<br />Check my post about half-way down the page:<br /><br />http://www.textkit.com/greek_latin_foru ... 60#1853<br /><br />Some other people listed resources as well.<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Ummmm.... I'm sorry about that - I'd asked, and intended to respond, and didn't. I was very amused because a lot of your books ("Latin Can Be Fun", "Latin Crosswords" for example) have also found their ways into my library.....<br /><br />Kilmeny

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Multum interest...
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae