Key to D'Ooge available?

Are you learning Latin with D'Ooge's Beginners Latin Book? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback and comments from others.
tdominus
Textkit Member

Key to D'Ooge available?

Post by tdominus »

Hello,<br />I am working through The Beginner's Guide to Latin, and was wondering if a complete set of answers to the exercises is available. <br /><br />Judging by the topics here, I presume that a complete key hasn't been made. Is this correct?

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Re:Key to D'Ooge available?

Post by Jeff Tirey »

Hi Tdominus:<br /><br />No key was ever published that I'm aware of. Keys in general from this time period are very rare and the only keys that I have ever come across are keys to North and Hillard's Greek and Latin Composition and keys to Sidgwick's Greek and Latin Compositions.<br /><br />Would anyone like to begin creating a for selected exercises?<br /><br />jeff
Textkit Founder

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

<br />Hi Tdominus,<br /><br />I see that this is your first post on the forum. Welcome to Textkit!<br /><br />I was wondering about the same thing myself as I am also working through BLD. I think there are several of us here who are or have used the book, so we can all help each other out. <br />

ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ingrid70 »

[quote author=jeff link=board=3;threadid=382;start=0#2942 date=1060174450]<br />Hi Tdominus:<br /><br />No key was ever published that I'm aware of. Keys in general from this time period are very rare and the only keys that I have ever come across are keys to North and Hillard's Greek and Latin Composition and keys to Sidgwick's Greek and Latin Compositions.<br /><br />Would anyone like to begin creating a for selected exercises?<br /><br />jeff<br />[/quote]<br /><br />I don't mind compiling a key from my own notes, other peoples notes and threads in this board. I don't want to do it with my notes only, I can be rather sloppy sometimes with singular/plural etc. And I haven't written the latin-english exercises out.<br />I can turn a word document into a pdf at work, so that's no problem.<br /><br />Volunteers for sending their notes to me? Preferably in MS Word or compatible format. The more people, the better, as I can compare them, and post questions here as translations are completely different.<br /><br />Ingrid<br /><br /><br />PS: please respond here or send me a personal message before starting sending whole files.<br />

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

<br />Thank you for offering to create a key for BLD. I haven't made much of a dent in the book, and my notes are scattered... either on scraps of paper (when I work on exercises on the bus) or on the computer (when I work on them at home). But I can amalgamate what I have and send them to you. I might even learn something while I'm transcribing from paper! ;D <br />

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

I"ll be glad to help in any way I can! I"m only in the beginning of the book myself, though...I've already done several of the lessons. What if I posted some of the answers I've come up with to the lessons and let people who know more about Latin than I do check them, then you could use them in an answer key? Or I could just send them to Jeff...whatever. Let me know how I can help! <br /><br />Keesa

ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ingrid70 »

I will use everything that's on the board so if you're not sure of your answers, you should post them here, and I can use the answers. If you can send the rest of your answers directly to me, I'll compare them with my own. I'll send my e-mail address in a private message to those who want to help.<br />As most of us are still working through the book, the key will be a work in progress :).<br /><br />Ingrid

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Skylax »

I am ready and willing to join. What matters is the poor quality of my English, so I would need a rewriter if I wrote some keys in English. In the reverse way, from English to Latin, it would be easier. As a beginning, should I make exercise n° 158, page 66 ? <br />Is it something more urgent ? Tell me what I could do.

ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ingrid70 »

If you would do some English-latin exercises and send them to me, I can check them against the other versions I've got now (including mine). We'll leave the latin-english to the native speakers :).<br />I'm most in need of the later exercises, as these pose the most difficulties, and I'm not always sure of my own translations there (Duh...i've found some errors in the early exercises too, have too check them 'cum cura'.)<br />I'll send you my e-mail address in a private message.<br /><br />Ingrid

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

[quote author=Skylax link=board=3;threadid=382;start=0#3325 date=1060522924]<br />I am ready and willing to join. What matters is the poor quality of my English, so I would need a rewriter if I wrote some keys in English. <br />[/quote]<br /><br />Poor, your English is not! I wish my French were as good! <br /><br />Keesa

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=ingrid70 link=board=3;threadid=382;start=0#3299 date=1060501435]<br />I will use everything that's on the board so if you're not sure of your answers, you should post them here, and I can use the answers. [/quote]<br /><br />Yes, everyone, please post your questions! <br /><br />I don't want to be the only person to prostrate myself before this forum with all my questions... ;) <br />

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

[quote author=mariek link=board=3;threadid=382;start=0#3357 date=1060539717]<br /><br />Yes, everyone, please post your questions! <br /><br />I don't want to be the only person to prostrate myself before this forum with all my questions... ;) <br /><br />[/quote]<br /><br />Don't worry, mariek, you're not! By the time I've finished with these Latin grammars, I will have posted enough questions to fill a college-sized textbook! <br /><br />Keesa

tdominus
Textkit Member

Post by tdominus »

[quote author=mariek link=board=3;threadid=382;start=0#2954 date=1060186040]<br /><br />Hi Tdominus,<br /><br />I see that this is your first post on the forum. Welcome to Textkit!<br /><br />[/quote]<br />Thanks for the welcome, mariek. :)<br /><br />I've only worked through some of the book, but I can help with formatting the answers and converting them to a .pdf file.

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

I translate all stories into English. I have just finished Perseus Andromedaque. <br /><br />L X-us monstrum saevum ad Aethiopiam misit ;)<br />E X sent a fierce monster to Aethiopia<br />L<br />E <--- Thus<br /><br />I spell

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=Skylax link=board=3;threadid=382;start=0#3325 date=1060522924]<br />I am ready and willing to join. What matters is the poor quality of my English, so I would need a rewriter if I wrote some keys in English. In the reverse way, from English to Latin, it would be easier. As a beginning, should I make exercise n° 158, page 66 ? <br />Is it something more urgent ? Tell me what I could do.<br />[/quote]<br /><br /><br />Thanks for offering to help with this project. We beginners could use all the help we can get from more seasoned Latin learners.<br /><br />Your English is quite good, much better than my French!<br /><br />A sick thought just crossed my mind... since I am also trying to learn Frech, what if I went one extra step and did the Latin-to-English exercises by translating them from Latin-to-French? Ha... that would really tax my poor little brain. ;D<br /><br />INGRID: I will start working on amalgamating my BLD exercises next week. This week is devoted entirely to studying Windows Active Directory (which bears quite a resemblance to Novell Netware!). Zzzzz... it's quite soporific, especially since what I really want to study is Latin!<br /><br />

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=tdominus link=board=3;threadid=382;start=0#3776 date=1060761465]<br />I've only worked through some of the book, but I can help with formatting the answers and converting them to a .pdf file. [/quote]<br /><br />I've got Acrobat Writer also and can help with massaging stuff.<br /><br />I guess we'll have to wait and see what Ingrid has in mind. She probably already has a game plan, or will develop one as she's putting everything together.<br /><br />

ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ingrid70 »

Do I have a mind left in this weather (it's been hot here, and I slow down considerably when it's hot).<br /><br />I'm working from my own notes, which I have in a MS Word file. <br /><br />All the answers I get from others, either directly by mail, or from the threads on this board, I compare with my own. If they are different (apart form word order), I check with the book to see which answer fits best. If more answers are possible, I put them all in. The more answers I get, the surer we are that they are right.<br /><br />What I need is: <br />The answers to the Latin-English exercises, because I didn't write them out and my English is wobbly when I'm translating from Latin. It's good English, but it wobbles :).<br /><br />Answers to advanced exercises. I've reached exercise 200 myself now, but I'm going slowly as I'm working through a Dutch exercise book at the same time. <br /><br />Converting the word document into pdf is no problem, I've got the necessary software at work. I'm thinking dividing the key into parts of, say, 100 exercises, so we can have the first part ready soon. <br /><br />Once it's available for download, you can all have a look and criticise it :). Spelling mistakes, readability, etc. <br /><br />I like doing it, by the way, so don't you worry about that :).<br /><br />Valete,<br />Ingrid<br /><br />PS: Episcopus, how far are you, and do you have your notes on the computer? I'm interested if you have them.

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

I am around Exercise 200 also. Finished synopsis of verbs/tenses and Perfect stem tenses - going on to "amatus sum" etc. <br /><br />All my work is in Exercise Books :) What do you want me to do? Dr. B.L.D is the man

ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ingrid70 »

Hmm, scan your notebooks and OCR them :)?<br /><br />I could send you my notes, and you could check them against yours? <br />Maybe that would work better for Mariek too, saves you a lot of work. I'll send you both a private message for the detials.<br /><br />Bye, Ingrid

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

I've got a funny feeling that I'm going to get far more out of this answer key than I'll be able to contribute... :-[<br /><br />Keesa

ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ingrid70 »

Don't worry, Keesa. I never took the trouble to write out the first exercises, and you did. So you have the honour of having done that :).<br /><br />Ingrid

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

haha I was feeling guilty about not having written some of those insanely easy exercises in my exercise book (on scrap paper - for I knew that if I were to ever look back on it I would be embarrassed and disheartened at my need to write down 7 year old latin). <br /><br />However the First Principles is KEY to Latin for the somewhat intimidated beginner (I).

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

[quote author=Episcopus link=board=3;threadid=382;start=15#3951 date=1060947551]<br />However the First Principles is KEY to Latin for the somewhat intimidated beginner (I).<br />[/quote]<br /><br />I will definitely agree with that! I reworked those exercises three and four times, some of them, and still got some wrong-as I'm sure Ingrid70 can tell you. ;) <br /><br />On the subject of exercises, I was on a roll yesterday; I did Lessons Six and Seven (I would have done lesson eight, but we had company... :-\) I"m working on typing them into the computer right now. As soon as that's done, I'll send them to you, Ingrid70. Hopefully they'll be helpful. <br /><br />Hmm, Exercise 200...is this a reference to the little numbers within the chapter? (i.e., Lesson Eight has #s 64, 65, 66, etc.) Surely you're not referring to lessons here....<br /><br />Keesa

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

That weird symbol 208.

MDS
Textkit Fan

Post by MDS »

I just started using D'Ooge (literally 2 days ago) but I would be very willing to contribute whatever I can to an answer key. Looking forward to its completion as it will significantly speed up the learning process for myself!

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

[quote author=Episcopus link=board=3;threadid=382;start=15#3976 date=1060958392]<br />That weird symbol 208. <br />[/quote]<br /><br />Oh, I see it! Okay. I'm on 69. <br /><br />Keesa

ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ingrid70 »

[quote author=MDS link=board=3;threadid=382;start=15#4316 date=1061209795]<br />I just started using D'Ooge (literally 2 days ago) but I would be very willing to contribute whatever I can to an answer key. Looking forward to its completion as it will significantly speed up the learning process for myself!<br />[/quote]<br /><br />I'm still looking for someone who has the Latin-English exercises written out on the computer. We've pretty well covered the English-Latin exercises for the first 200 exercises, and are working on the next 200.<br /><br />Ingrid

tdominus
Textkit Member

Post by tdominus »

[quote author=ingrid70 link=board=3;threadid=382;start=15#4403 date=1061277878]<br />I'm still looking for someone who has the Latin-English exercises written out on the computer. We've pretty well covered the English-Latin exercises for the first 200 exercises, and are working on the next 200.<br /><br />Ingrid<br />[/quote]<br />Which Latin to English exercises do you need?

ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ingrid70 »

tdominus wrote<br />Which Latin to English exercises do you need? <br /><br />well, to be honest, all of them. I hope to get versions of all the exercises of at least two people, I've got them from one person now. <br /><br />Ingrid

ALANVS DE RVPESCISSA
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ALANVS DE RVPESCISSA »

I much appreciate the grouping of this information into one area. I am puzzled however that there seems to be no resolution to the 'key'question. The old post leads me to believe that the key would have been placed on the site already. Is it still a work in progress or am I just not seeing it anywhere on the site?
I get the sense from reading this post that a wave of us went through the first part of D'Ooge in the summer. Who now is just beginning the journey? It would be curious to find others in the same boat and perhaps we can study together while asking advice from our older 'siblings'.

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

The key is a work in progress. Ingrid is gathering solutions from other learners and is amalgamating this into the D'Ooge Key which will be available here on Textkit. She has volunteered to do this and is doing this in her spare time at her own pace. It would be unreasonable of us to rush her... ;)

I have an early draft of the Key. You may find this useful since you're just beginning the book. I'll forward it to you when I get home (it's on my home computer). Send me a PM if I forget.

Don't hesitate to post any questions you have while working through D'Ooge. There are lots of people here who will help you.

ALANVS DE RVPESCISSA
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ALANVS DE RVPESCISSA »

Thanks for the heads up about the key. I agree with you that there is no need to hurry people along; Rome n'a pas ete batie en un jour.

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

I just sent you a draft copy of the key. Let me know if you have any difficulties unzipping or opening it.

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

I'm almost up to the 150 mark and consequently have TRUCKLOADS to add.

Envoie-le moi - Je l'avais une fois mais mon ordinateur s'est tué et donc j'ai presque rien :shock:

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

Wow, you're making lots of progress! Sorry to hear you lost your copy of the draft. Those darn computers! Send me your email address and I'll forward the key to you.

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Is it not in my profile?

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

Episcopus wrote:Is it not in my profile?

It wasn't there yesterday, but I can see it today. I just sent the draft to you. Let me know if you have any difficulties opening it.

ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ingrid70 »

Episcopus wrote:I'm almost up to the 150 mark and consequently have TRUCKLOADS to add.
to me, to me :!: I've got to 230 or so both ways. I'm complete as far as the english-latin exercises are concerned, thanks to Skylax. I need Latin-English translations from 230 up. I've done most of them myself so far, but I'm not a native speaker of English, and I'm often wondering if it's still English I'm writing :). I can sent the latest version to you for additions?Ppppppppppplllllllllllleeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaassssssssseeeeeeeeee :| ?

Ingrid

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Yes, but I may take a long time :D

mariek
Global Moderator

Downloadable draft key is on its way...

Post by mariek »

We've gotten numerous requests for the draft copy of the key. We've been trying to get the latest copy of the draft so we could make it available for download. Jeff just received it, and he will post it soon. An announcement will be made when it is available.