Prospecting in Used Bookstores....

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Prospecting in Used Bookstores....

Post by Milito »

I went cruising used bookstores this weekend to see if I might happen to trip over anything on Jeff's wish-list.... I didn't, but I did find a whole lot that wound up on bookshelves! I've been endlessly choked due to not being able to find books in Latin in new bookstores.... and here in the used bookstores I found a complete Horace (useful for upcoming Latin course), some Ovid, Pliny's letters (which I've been looking for for a while) and even some old Loebs Classics editions! And an Allen and Greenbough! And some Greek books, too! Some were copyrighted in the 1890's! It was great! And they averaged out to about $10 each Canadian! And all were hardcovers!<br /><br />(Found a Collins dictionary of etymologies, too.... they just don't publish books like these anymore!)<br /><br />I didn't find a D'Ooge, but I haven't by any means hit all the used bookstores in town.....<br /><br />Prospecting in used bookstores is a wonderful way to feed a habit....<br /><br />Kilmeny

klewlis
Global Moderator

Re:Prospecting in Used Bookstores....

Post by klewlis »

I moved to edmonton a year ago and have since lamented the lack of good classics books, even in the used stores. Maybe I have simply not found the right ones yet.<br /><br />Most of my greek and latin books came from a single store in Regina, called Centennial Books. My *favourite* bookstore *ever*. They *always* had a number of greek and latin books, and the only reason I didn't clean them out every time I went was because I didn't have enough money. But I highly recommend it if you find yourself in Saskatchewan.
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito »

Hmmmmm...... Regina's only 3.5 hours from here.....<br /><br />Kilmeny

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

I thought you were in Winnipeg. If so, it's more like 6.5-7 hours. and hwy 1 between wpg and regina is nasty bad. <br /><br />hey I am going to be in regina this weekend. I will have to remember to stop by that store (not that I have any money, but sometimes you just *have* to buy it if the deal is good enough... ;)
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

I looks like you found some real bargains! I found the Bennett's and D'Ooge's Cicero at a used books store at very good prices.<br /><br />It's great to find good books at good prices. My problem is having the time to read them :'(
Textkit Founder

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

[quote author=jeff link=board=6;threadid=375;start=0#2871 date=1060123729]<br />It's great to find good books at good prices. My problem is having the time to read them :'(<br />[/quote]<br /><br />lol. and MY problem is not being ABLE to read them. I have a whole shelf of greek and latin books and have not read any of them yet because I haven't been diligent enough in my education ;)<br /><br />(tho I am partway through Ursus Nomine Paddington)

Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carola »

I only have to look in the window of a 2nd hand book shop to go all glassy eyed and start twitching! If you have ever read the part in "The Wind in the Willows" about Mr Toad and Motor cars you will get a very good idea of my behaviour. <br />So far I have managed to pick up quite a lot of books on various Latin subjects, but unfortunately they are not quite old enough for Jeff to post on the site legally. This is a great pity because we are running the risk of losing these priceless volumes for all time. Think what happened to Etruscan!

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito »

[quote author=klewlis link=board=6;threadid=375;start=0#2863 date=1060115133]<br />I thought you were in Winnipeg. If so, it's more like 6.5-7 hours. and hwy 1 between wpg and regina is nasty bad. <br /><br />hey I am going to be in regina this weekend. I will have to remember to stop by that store (not that I have any money, but sometimes you just *have* to buy it if the deal is good enough... ;)<br />[/quote]<br /><br />I am in Winnipeg, and last October, I left the west edge of the city (Tim Horton's coffee in coffee-holder) at 0730, and was in Regina by noon.... Okay, that's 4.5 hours...... But the highway wasn't that bad on that part of the trip at all. It was the OTHER side of Regina (I was heading to the BC interior) that got ugly.....<br /><br />Kilmeny

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito »

[quote author=Carola link=board=6;threadid=375;start=0#2911 date=1060151904] <br />So far I have managed to pick up quite a lot of books on various Latin subjects, but unfortunately they are not quite old enough for Jeff to post on the site legally. This is a great pity because we are running the risk of losing these priceless volumes for all time. Think what happened to Etruscan!<br />[/quote]<br /><br />And the annoying thing about the Etruscan is that we KNOW that the emperor Claudius wrote a history of the Etruscans and (I think) an Etruscan dictionary; he was supposed to be the last speaker of the language....... and, naturally, those documents haven't survived, that we know of!<br /><br />Kilmeny

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

[quote author=Milito link=board=6;threadid=375;start=0#2958 date=1060192376]<br />I am in Winnipeg, and last October, I left the west edge of the city (Tim Horton's coffee in coffee-holder) at 0730, and was in Regina by noon.... Okay, that's 4.5 hours...... But the highway wasn't that bad on that part of the trip at all. It was the OTHER side of Regina (I was heading to the BC interior) that got ugly.....<br />[/quote]<br /><br />hm, really? I found the eastern leg to be worse... but maybe just cuz I'm used to the western leg (lots of Moose Jaw-Calgary trips!). They've been redoing big strips of that highway too so that helps a little. Anyway, definitely check out that bookstore sometime if you need a weekend away from wpg. It's in the "value mall", where the sears outlet and value village are.

Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carola »

[quote author=Milito link=board=6;threadid=375;start=0#2959 date=1060192503]<br />And the annoying thing about the Etruscan is that we KNOW that the emperor Claudius wrote a history of the Etruscans and (I think) an Etruscan dictionary; he was supposed to be the last speaker of the language....... and, naturally, those documents haven't survived, that we know of!<br /><br />[/quote]<br />Yes, that's what I meant. I guess a bunch of educators thought "what's the point of teaching the kids this stuff? It's useless and they should be learning how to use an abacus". So someone used poor old Claudius' book to line their cupboards or what ever and we now can only guess what Etruscan means (and they sounded like pretty interesting people, too). <br />

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

[quote author=Milito link=board=6;threadid=375;start=0#2959 date=1060192503]<br /><br /><br />And the annoying thing about the Etruscan is that we KNOW that the emperor Claudius wrote a history of the Etruscans and (I think) an Etruscan dictionary; he was supposed to be the last speaker of the language....... and, naturally, those documents haven't survived, that we know of!<br /><br />Kilmeny<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Hey, I believe in miracles. Who knows? Maybe some archaeologist will someday dig up the history of the Etruscans in some unexpected site. If not...well, all the more reason to protect the histories that we do have. <br /><br />Keesa

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito »

[quote author=Keesa link=board=6;threadid=375;start=0#3028 date=1060257782]<br />Hey, I believe in miracles. Who knows? Maybe some archaeologist will someday dig up the history of the Etruscans in some unexpected site. If not...well, all the more reason to protect the histories that we do have. <br /><br />Keesa<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Unfortunately, it's not very likely. Even the Romans weren't very interested, so there weren't many copies made, and I believe it was lost "early"......<br /><br />Which is a pity, because most of the things written in Etruscan that have popped up haven't proven translatable. (It's not an indo-European language....)<br /><br />So yes, by all means, let the Society for the Preservation of Books in, on and about Classical Languages kick into high gear!<br /><br />Kilmeny

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

ooh ooh, so what you're saying is that i can buy as many latin books as i please and it is not selfish or financially irresponsible, but rather for the good of humanity? nice....<br /><br />:)

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

Why, certainly! ;) For all you know, you may be preserving untold wealths of knowledge for generations to come! <br /><br />Keesa

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito »

[quote author=Keesa link=board=6;threadid=375;start=0#3045 date=1060263614]<br />Why, certainly! ;) For all you know, you may be preserving untold wealths of knowledge for generations to come! <br /><br />Keesa<br />[/quote]<br /><br />So there we are, all charter members of the Society for the Preservation of..... (etc).... "Just D'Ooge It!"<br /><br />(I have to find a place that makes T-shirts......)<br /><br />Kilmeny

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

yay! now i can justify spending my money at my favourite bookstore in regina this weekend. <G>

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito »

When do you intend to get there? I may just have to plan a road trip to bump into you! (Not literally!)<br /><br />Kilmeny

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

hey that'd be fun.<br /><br />unfortunately i don't know yet... i'm going to sask for a wedding and promised i'd help out with wedding stuff... so i'm *hoping* to go to regina on saturday and spend most of the day... but who knows. most likely sometime saturday... i can solidify it tonight once i get to sask and let you know. <br /><br />of course, then i'd have to fight you for the books.

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito »

[quote author=klewlis link=board=6;threadid=375;start=15#3051 date=1060264395]<br />hey that'd be fun.<br /><br />unfortunately i don't know yet... i'm going to sask for a wedding and promised i'd help out with wedding stuff... so i'm *hoping* to go to regina on saturday and spend most of the day... but who knows. most likely sometime saturday... i can solidify it tonight once i get to sask and let you know. <br /><br />of course, then i'd have to fight you for the books. <br />[/quote]<br /><br />Ah well.... It was worth a thot.....<br /><br />And I suspect that the bookstore might forbid us to come back if we started scuffles in the Classics aisles.....<br /><br />Kilmeny

vinobrien
Textkit Member

Post by vinobrien »

Just remember, if God didn't mean us to overspend, He wouldn't have given us credit cards.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Ah yes, and God gaveth unto man Credit Card and there was light.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito »

[quote author=benissimus link=board=6;threadid=375;start=15#3057 date=1060265631]<br />Ah yes, and God gaveth unto man Credit Card and there was light.<br />[/quote]<br /><br />... as the Credit Card spontaneously combusted!<br /><br />Kilmeny

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

[quote author=Milito link=board=6;threadid=375;start=15#3063 date=1060276649]<br />[quote author=benissimus link=board=6;threadid=375;start=15#3057 date=1060265631]<br />Ah yes, and God gaveth unto man Credit Card and there was light.<br />[/quote]<br /><br />... as the Credit Card spontaneously combusted!<br /><br />Kilmeny<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Good one! I like that. Of course, I don't have a credit card.... ;D

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

Come to think of it, I don't have a used bookstore, either. I wish I did! I think the nearest bookstore is thirty miles away-and it only sells new books! Do they even have used bookstores in America? ::)<br /><br />Keesa <br />

Alundis
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Alundis »

I don't know of any used book stores close to my house, but I did find one on a weekend trip to the Jersey store. And I bought an old Loeb edition of Bede. :)

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

[quote author=Milito link=board=6;threadid=375;start=15#3047 date=1060263846]<br /><br />So there we are, all charter members of the Society for the Preservation of..... (etc).... "Just D'Ooge It!"<br /><br />(I have to find a place that makes T-shirts......)<br /><br />Kilmeny<br />[/quote]<br /><br />They should be elegant pink golfer style polo shirts with white stitched handwriting "Just D'Ooge It", and a shameless pimpage of textkit on the back :)

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

The Society for the Preservation of Ancient Books and Languages. <br /><br />And the shirts should also come in turquoise. <br /><br /> :)<br /><br />Keesa

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

[quote author=Keesa link=board=6;threadid=375;start=15#3197 date=1060425883]<br /><br />And the shirts should also come in turquoise. <br /><br /> :)<br /><br />Keesa<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Lovely :D

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito »

[quote author=Episcopus link=board=6;threadid=375;start=15#3192 date=1060424893]<br />They should be elegant pink golfer style polo shirts with white stitched handwriting "Just D'Ooge It", and a shameless pimpage of textkit on the back :)<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Pink? PINK???!!!?!<br /><br />Ack! Pthpthtt!! Ptooey!! Pink, he say! Blech!<br /><br />But the tourquoise sounds nice......<br /><br />Kilmeny

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

[quote author=Milito link=board=6;threadid=375;start=15#3232 date=1060461261]<br />[quote author=Episcopus link=board=6;threadid=375;start=15#3192 date=1060424893]<br />They should be elegant pink golfer style polo shirts with white stitched handwriting "Just D'Ooge It", and a shameless pimpage of textkit on the back :)<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Pink? PINK???!!!?!<br /><br />Ack! Pthpthtt!! Ptooey!! Pink, he say! Blech!<br /><br />But the tourquoise sounds nice......<br /><br />Kilmeny<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Pink, for a male, is the pinnacle of elegance. How dare you! No seriously, how dare you insult pink.

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

If I'm not mistaken, in Europe, baby boys are dressed in pink, and baby girls in blue. It's all a cultural thing... ;D<br /><br />Keesa

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Pink is nice for males I wear it and I be a teenager and be not loving other males although that is what some ignorant people may be thinking....MILITO!!

ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ingrid70 »

[quote author=Keesa link=board=6;threadid=375;start=30#3252 date=1060471378]<br />If I'm not mistaken, in Europe, baby boys are dressed in pink, and baby girls in blue. It's all a cultural thing... ;D<br /><br />Keesa<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Not everywhere in Europe...you won't see my boys dressed in pink.<br /><br />Ingrid

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

<br />Until Textkit has a grand following, I don't know what the feasibility is for Jeff to offer t-shirts in multiple colors. This might start off with only one or two basic colors, and then branch off into more colors as demand for shirts rises. You can never go wrong with basic white or black. However I was thinking ... why not go with the viridescent color scheme of this website ? (Although I must admit that green doesn't flatter me :( )<br /><br />

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

[quote author=mariek link=board=6;threadid=375;start=30#3364 date=1060542066]<br /><br /> (Although I must admit that green doesn't flatter me :( )<br /><br /><br />[/quote]<br /><br />Me, either. :'( But pink does... ;D<br /><br />Still, you have a good point. And the website green is a good idea. <br /><br />Keesa

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

Back on the subject of used bookstores, I hope to make good use of those in England, if (or, rather, when)I make it to Oxford University. <br /><br />Maybe it's because I do live in such a rural part of America, but the US doesn't seem to have an overabundance of used bookstores. Europe, on the other hand, has several...my cousin owns a bookstore in Liege, Belgium. <br /><br />Keesa

Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carola »

[
benissimus wrote:<br />Ah yes, and God gaveth unto man Credit Card and there was light.<br />
<br /><br />... as the Credit Card spontaneously combusted!<br /><br />Kilmeny<br />
<br />Is that like "veni, vidi, Visa" ? (I came, I saw, I bought everything in sight). My ideal house would be one where all the walls are covered in bookshelves. (Except the bathroom as the steam might ruin the pages - gasp!) Come to think of it , this almost describes my house! I have now issued instructions to my family to buy anything in Latin they find in 2nd hand bookshops, school fetes, sales etc.<br /><br />

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

Carola wrote:<br />
[
benissimus wrote:<br />Ah yes, and God gaveth unto man Credit Card and there was light.<br />
<br /><br />... as the Credit Card spontaneously combusted!<br /><br />Kilmeny<br />
<br />Is that like "veni, vidi, Visa" ? (I came, I saw, I bought everything in sight). My ideal house would be one where all the walls are covered in bookshelves. (Except the bathroom as the steam might ruin the pages - gasp!) Come to think of it , this almost describes my house! I have now issued instructions to my family to buy anything in Latin they find in 2nd hand bookshops, school fetes, sales etc.<br /><br /><br />
<br /><br />How very odd...this describes my house, as well! I'm passionately fond of books and reading, and, except for the windows and one (yes, ONE) wall, where I have my mother's paintings, every wall of my house is bookshelves; I have books hidden in cupboards, books piled under the bed, books on the bed (I put them on the floor when I sleep, of course!), and everywhere else I can find room for them. The really odd thing is, I've read most of them. ;D <br /><br />Keesa

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

Carola wrote:<br />My ideal house would be one where all the walls are covered in bookshelves.
<br /><br />Mine too! Or having the library like the one in Disney's Beauty and the Beast, a room with walls lined in bookshelves, and it went up pretty high too. <br />
<br />I have now issued instructions to my family to buy anything in Latin they find in 2nd hand bookshops, school fetes, sales etc.
<br /><br />How is this working out? Do they find obscure stuff you love? Do they ever (unknowingly) buy you the same book?<br /><br />There are used bookstores in the USA, but you have to make an effort to seek them out.<br />