Problem with emphatics

Are you learning Latin with D'Ooge's Beginners Latin Book? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback and comments from others.
sot
Textkit Neophyte

Problem with emphatics

Post by sot »

I thought I was doing well with Latin for Beginners until I did the lesson on emphatic (69, pg.30), where I got more wrong than is acceptable.

9. Clara est insula Sicila.

I figured Clara would be emphatic.

and in the answer part of question 7. Longa est Italia, non lata.

I figured Longa would be emphatic.

They were not, so obviously my Latin word order is not up to snuff yet. But I only know what D'Ooge has told me so far! Have I missed something?

So I have a couple questions,

1. Why did I get those wrong?

2. If my word order should be better at this point in D'Ooge's text, could someone bring me up to speed?

So far I know: subject- modifier of subject- indirect object- direct object-adverb- verb.

Possesive pronouns and genetive of possessors follow their nouns unless emphatic, same with adjectives.

Ummm, I think thats all D'Ooge has coverd so far...

Thanks for reading this mess of a post. I look forward to any reply.

p.s. This is my first post! So greetings all!

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Having checked the exercise, I have to agree with you that in #9 clara is emphatic (it precedes its noun). For some reason the key does not underline any words for this exercise, which may be an error. In #7, longa is emphatic as well, but also has not been marked so in the key.

In my opinion, this is not a very vital exercise. Word order is a fine point of the Latin language and it will become much more intuitive through experience than from explanation and lessons geared toward it.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

sot
Textkit Neophyte

Post by sot »

Oh boy benissimus, I can't tell you how happy your post made me!

I was starting to doubt my abilities to learn Latin, getting a question wrong is only bad if you can't understand why you got it wrong. Which explains why I was a bit depressed about it.

Thank you benissimus for taking the time to look up the lesson and helping me out. I greatly appreciate it.

You really made my day. :D

Now back to the books with greater zeal!

Junius
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Junius »

Here's an example that may help:

Insula Sicila clara est. (Less emphatic)
Clara est insula Sicila

It may also help to think of a sentence or clause as "framed by its two most important words." Picture a bowtie. Good luck in your studies.