Textkit Logo

your favourite Hellenic maxims

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.

Moderators: thesaurus, Jeff Tirey

your favourite Hellenic maxims

Postby greagach » Wed Aug 06, 2003 7:23 pm

<br /> Sometimes I come up with short Greek phrases, masterpieces of rhythm and condensed meaning, that even though they were first pronounced millenia ago, still can cut like a knife and whisper to me the way out to many every-day situations. <br /><br /> To me, they are, along with "grandpa Homer", the reason for which I wanted to study Greek. <br /><br /> So, give me your top 3 of Greek quotations that have changed your life, inspired you at some time, puzzled you or made you strongly identify or disagree with them. <br /><br /> ...and why you like them!<br /><br />
phpbb
greagach
Textkit Neophyte

Re:your favourite Hellenic maxims

Postby greagach » Wed Aug 06, 2003 7:45 pm

<br /> here just a couple of my favourites:<br /><br /> [face=SPIonic]q/alassa kl/uzei p/anta t' )anthr/wpwn kak/a. . . [/face]<br /> it's so consoling to think of this each time I have a good swim, but also to know how humanity might end up if going on the way it often does...<br /><br /> [face=SPIonic] (istor/ia t/o f=os t=hs )alhqe/ias ki' (o did/askalos t=es zw=hj [/face] <br /> I guess this one says it all...<br /><br /> [face=SPIonic] (ws m/ega t/o mikr/on )/estin, )en kair=w doq/en [/face]<br /> everything can matter, even the least of things, when you're ready to accept it. <br /><br /> <br /><br />
phpbb
greagach
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Keesa » Wed Aug 06, 2003 11:40 pm

I don't know enough Greek to have any yet, but I'll post them when I do! <br /><br />Keesa
phpbb
Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Postby benissimus » Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:01 am

Could you translate those? I don't speak Greek yet, but I am fascinated.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae
benissimus
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby greagach » Thu Aug 07, 2003 7:14 am

<br /> yes, benissimus, why not! Translation would go: <br /><br /> a. "Thalassa klyzei panta t' anthropon kaka..." =<br /> Almighty sea washes away all sins of men...<br /> [I think it's from Euripides, Iphigeneia en Taurois] <br /><br /> b. "Historia to phos tees aleetheias ki ho didaskalos tees zoees" = <br /> Knowledge is the way to the truth, the way to a better life.<br /> [fail to remember where I picked up this one]<br /><br /> c. "Hos mega to mikron estin, en kairo dothen" = <br /> How great can a little thing be, if only offered at the right time. [no idea where this is from either]<br /><br /> <br />
phpbb
greagach
Textkit Neophyte

Postby benissimus » Thu Aug 07, 2003 8:48 am

Thank you. Those are very nice, I could almost understand the last one without the translation, but got hung up with "en kairo."
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae
benissimus
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby annis » Fri Aug 08, 2003 2:20 am

[face=SPIonic]mhde\n a)/gan[/face]<br /><br />I tend not to collect maxims, but bits of poetry.<br /><br />[face=SPIonic]pa/nta po/noj teu/xei qnhtoi=j mele/th te brotei/h[/face] - Archilochus<br /><br />"Toil makes all for humans, and mortal care." (More literal than flowing translation.)<br /><br />I'll not recite all my memorized Sappho right now. :)
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;
annis
Textkit Zealot

Postby Skylax » Fri Aug 08, 2003 8:42 pm

A Greek proverb quoted by Aulus Gellius (II, 6, 9)<br /><br />[face=SPIonic]Polla/ki toi kai\ mw=ro\j a)nh\r ma/la kai/rion ei)=pen[/face]<br /><br />"Oft-times even a fool expressed himself to the purpose." (Translated by J.C. ROLFE)
Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby greagach » Fri Aug 08, 2003 9:31 pm

great, this last one! I think I'm going to use it often about myself from now on...<br /><br /> <br /> here are another three sayings that I like to bear in mind: <br /><br /> [face=SPIonic]po/lemoj pa/ntwn me/n path/r e)sti, pa/ntwn de/ basileu/j, kai/ touj me/n qeou/j e)/deice tou/j de/ a)nqrwpouj, tou/j me/n dou/louj e)poi/hse, tou/j de/ e)leuqe/rouj [/face] =<br /> <br /> Human effort / toil is the father and master of what happens; some people could become gods thanks to it, others remained humans; it is the one that makes some people slaves, others free. Heracleitos<br /><br /><br /> [face=SPIonic]e)n muri/oisi ta/ kala/ gi/gnetai po/noij[/face] = <br /><br /> it takes a life of trying to achieve a good work<br /> [don't remember who said this, but he definitely knew about perseverance!] <br /><br /><br /> [face=SPIonic]e)k gai/hj pa/nta kai/ ei)j gh=n pa/nta teleuta=[/face] [Xenophanes], or the circle of life. <br /> does this by chance remind you of something?? <br /><br /><br /> keep posting more! <br /> <br />
phpbb
greagach
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Raya » Sat Aug 09, 2003 7:23 am

I haven't read much in the original yet, but I have come across a few memorable monostichoi...<br /><br />(Not sure about accentuation or source for the first two.)<br /><br />[face=SPIonic]ou)k a)/n labeis para\ tou= mh\ e)xoidoj[/face]<br />~ A reminder not to expect too much from people<br /><br />[face=SPIonic]polloi\ me\n oi( ba/rbaroi, o)ligoi de oi( qeoi/[/face]<br />~ Don't despair, for the vast majority of us aren't gods<br /><br />[face=SPIonic]ga/moj ga\r a)nqrw/poisin eu)tai=kon kako/n[/face]<br />- Menander<br />~ I agree - on the 'evil' bit, at least ;D<br /><br />William Annis: Sappho - yes! - she RULES!!!<br />(sorry, I can't think of a more dignified way to put that)
phpbb
Raya
Textkit Fan

Return to Open Board