Unit #1 Ex 19

Are you learning Latin with Latin: An Intensive Course by Moreland and Fleischer? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback.
kyaman
Textkit Neophyte

Unit #1 Ex 19

Post by kyaman »

I am working through Unit 1 exercises and drills. I got stuck at #19:
Feminae est forma, fama nautae; feminis est forma, fama nautis.
The link to the the PDF answer key seems to be down, any help would be appreciated. If I ignore the comma I can come up with:
The woman's beauty is the talk of the sailor for the first part but otherwise, the only way I could make sense of it is:
Beauty is of the woman (belongs to the woman), the talk of the sailor; beauty is from the women, the talk by (amongst) the sailors?? Hmm, I am confused.

Turpissimus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Turpissimus »

I think it's meant to be:
Beauty is for the woman, renown for the sailor
And the same sentiment repeated in the plural. Since the sentences are together it's fairly obvious that the writer intended them to express the same ideas in the singular and plural. -ae can be the ending of both the genitive and dative singular. -is of both the dative and ablative plural.

kyaman
Textkit Neophyte

Post by kyaman »

Turpissimus wrote:I think it's meant to be:
And the same sentiment repeated in the plural. Since the sentences are together it's fairly obvious that the writer intended them to express the same ideas in the singular and plural. -ae can be the ending of both the genitive and dative singular. -is of both the dative and ablative plural.
Thanks that makes sense; I did not think of Dative in the sense of "for" someone.

Deses
Textkit Fan

Post by Deses »

Turpissimus wrote:I think it's meant to be:
Wouldn't this be Dative of Possession? If so, it is formally introduced in unit 4 o 5. An example of what I mentioned a few days ago.