Textkit Logo

Lesson XLIII, paragraph 283

Are you reading Homeric Greek or studying Homeric Greek with Pharr's Homeric Greek - A Book For Beginners? Here's where you can meet other Homeric Greek learners. Use this board for all things Homeric Greek.

Postby GlottalGreekGeek » Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:54 am

[face=spionic]a)faireo/meqa basilh=a Xrushi/da to\ ge/raj kalo/n.[/face]

I believe this is saying something like "We are robbing [for ourselves] the king of Chryses' daughter, the beautiful prize." What's confusing me is that both [face=spionic]basilh=a[/face] and [face=spionic]Xrushi/da[/face] blah blah are in accusative. Is this how it's supposed to be, or is there some meaning (i.e. that Chryses' daughter is a king, which makes little sense in context) that I'm missing. I have a similar problem with the last clause of the last sentence in this exercise.
GlottalGreekGeek
Textkit Zealot

Re: Lesson XLIII, paragraph 283

Postby annis » Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:12 am

GlottalGreekGeek wrote:Lesson XLIII, paragraph 283

[face=spionic]a)faireo/meqa basilh=a Xrushi/da to\ ge/raj kalo/n.[/face]

I believe this is saying something like "We are robbing [for ourselves] the king of Chryses' daughter, the beautiful prize." What's confusing me is that both [face=spionic]basilh=a[/face] and [face=spionic]Xrushi/da[/face] blah blah are in accusative. Is this how it's supposed to be, or is there some meaning (i.e. that Chryses' daughter is a king, which makes little sense in context) that I'm missing.

Some verbs take two accusatives. "We are taking Chryseis, this beautiful prize, from the king."
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;
annis
Textkit Zealot

Postby GlottalGreekGeek » Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:18 am

That's what I thought. Thanks!
GlottalGreekGeek
Textkit Zealot

Return to Homeric Greek and Pharr's Homeric Greek - A Book For Beginners