Festina Lente

Are you learning Latin with Wheelock's Latin 6th Edition? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback.
Feles in silva
Textkit Member

Festina Lente

Post by Feles in silva »

This is one of the sentences in Ch.1 of Wheelock.

It is from festino, festinare.

My question is, what tense/mood is "festina", as it does not fit in with present, future or imprefect indicative active.

Or is it an irregular conjugation?

Deses
Textkit Fan

Re: Festina Lente

Post by Deses »

Feles in silva wrote:This is one of the sentences in Ch.1 of Wheelock.

It is from festino, festinare.

My question is, what tense/mood is "festina", as it does not fit in with present, future or imprefect indicative active.

Or is it an irregular conjugation?
It's Present Imperative Sing.
<a href="http://www.inrebus.com"> In Rebus: Latin quotes and phrases; Latin mottos; Windows interface for Latin Words </a>

Turpissimus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Turpissimus »

It's the imperative. It's used for giving orders. Wheelock is being cheeky by giving it to you so early. I don't think you're supposed to know it.

Deses
Textkit Fan

Post by Deses »

Turpissimus wrote:It's the imperative. It's used for giving orders. Wheelock is being cheeky by giving it to you so early. I don't think you're supposed to know it.
Keep in mind that any author of a language instruction book is required to throw in some words and grammar every now and then - prior to their proper introduction. It never fails.