neon melos

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
greagach
Textkit Neophyte

neon melos

Post by greagach »

Chairete, o anthropoi! <br /><br /> now isn't this a brilliant site about Classical tongues, and with so many interesting people from around the globe! <br /><br /> I am new in here, and hope to make most of my learning Ancient Greek, a language I always wanted to master, before moving on to discover the world of Hellas, its wisdom and celebration of man and nature. <br /><br /> Currently studying Ploutarchou - Bios Alexandrou, and flirting with Orphika. <br /><br /> Look forward to chatting with you, and create beautiful memories. <br /><br />Errosthe, hapantes,<br /><br />and remember: <br /><br /> Bios aneortastos, makra hodos apandokheutos = <br /> Celebrate life, and it will never let you down <br /><br />(never mind my Greeklish, but I don't have the Hellenic font)<br /><br /> Consaidin, 24 <br /> <br />
αἴτιον: ἡ ψυχὴ μετὰ λόγου· συναίτιον: τὸ πῦρ [Ἡράκλειτος]

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Re:neon melos

Post by Keesa »

Welcome! I hope you get as much out of Textkit as I have in the three (four? five?) days I've been a member! <br /><br />Keesa

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

Welcome, a Ghreagaich. (Did I totally bungle that?)<br /><br />Between your login name and the signoff (Constantine!) my mind is now overflowing with all sorts of associations.<br /><br />What edition of the Orphika are you reading?<br />
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

<br />Welcome to Textkit Greagach!<br /><br />Don't forget to click on the "Learn Ancient Greek" link above to discover all the Greek books you can download from this site. :)<br /><br />

greagach
Textkit Neophyte

Post by greagach »

<br /> indeed, there's loads of interesting material to download on this site, great news for a learner!<br /><br /> dia dhuit, a William! an bhfuil Gaeilge agatsa, chomh maith??<br /><br /> The Orphika I am reading from is in a textbook with fragments, and other -fairly easy- Greek texts. I enjoy reading slowly, again and again, sipping it all down, also trying to memorise and recite as much as I can, not caring that much about grammar and syntax for the moment. <br /><br /> how did you know about "Consaidin"? (amazed!)<br /> <br /><br />

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

[quote author=greagach link=board=6;threadid=377;start=0#2882 date=1060125668]<br /><br /> dia dhuit, a William! an bhfuil Gaeilge agatsa, chomh maith??<br /><br />Are you speaking Gaelic?!! :o I've always wanted to learn Gaelic! (You don't know any websites for learning Gaelic that are as good as this one, do you?) <br /><br />Keesa[/quote]

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=greagach link=board=6;threadid=377;start=0#2882 date=1060125668]<br />dia dhuit, a William! an bhfuil Gaeilge agatsa, chomh maith?? [/quote]<br /><br />That looks like Gaelic! :o<br />

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

greagach wrote:<br /> dia dhuit, a William! an bhfuil Gaeilge agatsa, chomh maith??<br />
<br /><br />This I'm afraid is well beyond my abilities. I've only ever looked at Irish and Scots Gaelic. The spelling continues to terrify me, and normally I'm brave in the face of linguistic exotica.<br /><br />
<br /> The Orphika I am reading from is in a textbook with fragments, and other -fairly easy- Greek texts.<br />
<br /><br />What textbook is this?<br /><br />
<br /> how did you know about "Consaidin"? (amazed!)<br />
<br /><br />Many random facts are lodged in my brain. I'm not sure how this one got there.<br />
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

[quote author=Keesa link=board=6;threadid=377;start=0#2883 date=1060125852]<br />[quote author=greagach link=board=6;threadid=377;start=0#2882 date=1060125668]<br /><br /> dia dhuit, a William! an bhfuil Gaeilge agatsa, chomh maith??<br /><br />Are you speaking Gaelic?!! :o I've always wanted to learn Gaelic! (You don't know any websites for learning Gaelic that are as good as this one, do you?) <br /><br />Keesa[/quote]<br />[/quote]<br /><br />lol. 4 languages isn't enough, eh Keesa? In a few years you will be the multilinguist of our day ;)<br /><br />Welcome here greagach!
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=Keesa link=board=6;threadid=377;start=0#2883 date=1060125852]<br />(You don't know any websites for learning Gaelic that are as good as this one, do you?) [/quote]<br /><br />I used to know of one several years ago when I was learning Gaelic to be able to send messages to my Irish friend. Boy did I keep him on his toes for a while! I don't have the site bookmarked anymore, but will try to dig it up for you. <br />

greagach
Textkit Neophyte

neon melos

Post by greagach »

<br /> That was a good guess! Thanks for the warm welcomes! <br /><br />For any of you interested in online Irish Gaelic lessons, here's a good site to start from: www.braesicke.de/links.htm It is in German, but you'll easily find what you want. <br /><br /> The Greek texts anthology I have (the one with the Orphika) has German as a medium-language, too. It's a book for learners, not something too special. It's packed with cultural notes, and it's fun to learn an ancient language through some other foreign language!<br /><br /> Eytycheite, C.

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Skylax »

[quote author=greagach link=board=6;threadid=377;start=0#2870 date=1060123630]<br /><br />and remember: <br /><br /> Bios aneortastos, makra hodos apandokheutos = <br /> Celebrate life, and it will never let you down <br /> <br />[/quote]<br /><br />Hey, it is Democritus !<br /><br />In other words : "A life without feasts is a long road without inns."<br /><br />Nice ! Let's have a party !

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

[quote author=klewlis link=board=6;threadid=377;start=0#2886 date=1060126611]<br /><br /><br />lol. 4 languages isn't enough, eh Keesa? In a few years you will be the multilinguist of our day ;)<br /><br />[/quote]<br /><br />Never enough! There's too much to learn to wait until you've finished one thing to start another... ;D<br /><br />Keesa

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito »

[quote author=Keesa link=board=6;threadid=377;start=0#2930 date=1060170118]<br />Never enough! There's too much to learn to wait until you've finished one thing to start another... ;D<br /><br />Keesa<br />[/quote]<br /><br />I like that sentiment!!<br /><br />Kilmeny

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

<br />My problem is wanting to bite off more than I can chew. By overextending myself, I find I am less effective at any of my endeavors, and as a result make very little progress in any. :( Concentration and focus is not one of my strong points.<br /><br />

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

[quote author=mariek link=board=6;threadid=377;start=0#2968 date=1060197828]<br /><br />My problem is wanting to bite off more than I can chew. By overextending myself, I find I am less effective at any of my endeavors, and as a result make very little progress in any. :( Concentration and focus is not one of my strong points.<br /><br /><br />[/quote]<br /><br />Funny...it usually works the other way for me; I find that the more I do, the more intense I become, and the better I can work. Then again, I've always been a strange person... ;D<br /><br />Keesa

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito »

[quote author=mariek link=board=6;threadid=377;start=0#2968 date=1060197828]<br /><br />My problem is wanting to bite off more than I can chew. By overextending myself, I find I am less effective at any of my endeavors, and as a result make very little progress in any. :( Concentration and focus is not one of my strong points.<br /><br /><br />[/quote]<br /><br />Funny - you seem to be concentrating and focussing fine, here!<br /><br />Kilmeny

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=William Annis link=board=6;threadid=377;start=0#2885 date=1060126088]<br />The spelling continues to terrify me, and normally I'm brave in the face of linguistic exotica.[/quote]<br /><br />It's not the spelling... it's the pronunciation! <br /><br />I have some Gaelic music with lyrics and have not been successful at following along. They just don't pronounce the words as you would expect them to sound. But I guess that's why it isn't English. ;) <br />

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

[quote author=mariek link=board=6;threadid=377;start=15#2977 date=1060211442]<br />[quote author=William Annis link=board=6;threadid=377;start=0#2885 date=1060126088]<br />The spelling continues to terrify me, and normally I'm brave in the face of linguistic exotica.[/quote]<br /><br />It's not the spelling... it's the pronunciation! <br /><br />I have some Gaelic music with lyrics and have not been successful at following along. They just don't pronounce the words as you would expect them to sound. But I guess that's why it isn't English. ;) <br /><br />[/quote]<br /><br />I agree! I also have music with Gaelic lyrics, and I've found that I can only sing them when I don't think about how they're spelled-otherwise, I get hopelessly confused. I love trying, though. <br /><br />By the way, thanks for the Gaelic link, Greagach! Now, if I could just learn German so I can learn Gaelic...but that may be trying for a little to much at once, even for me! ;D<br /><br />Keesa

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=Milito link=board=6;threadid=377;start=15#2973 date=1060209075]<br />Funny - you seem to be concentrating and focussing fine, here! [/quote]<br /><br />I'm selectively focused. ;D<br /><br />There will be a hiatus in my Latin studies next week as I am taking the entire week off to focus on four less interesting courses that must be completed before the end of this month. Ugh. I will try to squeeze in about 56 hours of course materials into 40 hours, well, that is the plan. Maybe I'll "treat" myself to some Latin as I reach milestones in the courses, like dangling that carrot in front to get me going...<br /><br />

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito »

[quote author=mariek link=board=6;threadid=377;start=15#2983 date=1060215032]<br /><br />I'm selectively focused. ;D<br /><br />There will be a hiatus in my Latin studies next week as I am taking the entire week off to focus on four less interesting courses that must be completed before the end of this month. Ugh. I will try to squeeze in about 56 hours of course materials into 40 hours, well, that is the plan. Maybe I'll "treat" myself to some Latin as I reach milestones in the courses, like dangling that carrot in front to get me going...<br /><br /><br />[/quote]<br /><br />Ah.... To quote an ancient (relatively speaking....) movie, "I'm in touch with that emotion".......<br /><br />Good luck!<br /><br />Kilmeny

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

What movie is that?