Hello/How long should it take

Are you reading Homeric Greek? Whether you are a total beginner or an advanced Homerist, here you can meet kindred spirits. Besides Homer, use this board for all things early Greek poetry.
charleshardt
Textkit Neophyte

Hello/How long should it take

Post by charleshardt »

Hello all,

I just discovered this site, and I wish I had found it earlier. What a great site! For a long time, I thought I was the only one in the universe teaching himself Greek. B'bye, vacuum.

I am presently on Lesson 27, and this represents about a year of on-and-off study. Now, this "on-and-off" business has really got to go, because I waste so much time relearning.

So I've taken to making small flash-cards for vocab, and index cards for grammar. I can chew at this through-out the day. In addition, I have about an hour, sometimes two, to really focus and study from the book.

My question is this, what is a reasonable time-frame for going through Pharr? The study group here is generally 2 lessons per week. Is this fast, slow, average? Naturally, everybody is different, but as a violinist, I do know that you tend to accomplish a great deal more, and in a shorter time-frame, when more is demanded of you.

Another question is this: assuming a constant effort and a typical intellect (i.e. I'm not too dim), in how many years should I reasonably expect to be able to read Homer with more or less ease and understanding, insight and enjoyment?

All the best,

charlie

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Re: Hello/How long should it take

Post by mingshey »

Welcome!
charleshardt wrote:but as a violinist, I do know that you tend to accomplish a great deal more, and in a shorter time-frame, when more is demanded of you.
I always admire musicians. And what you said is what I am trying to put in nice Greek : viewtopic.php?t=3069