Ablative confusion

Are you learning Latin with D'Ooge's Beginners Latin Book? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback and comments from others.
installer_swan
Textkit Neophyte

Ablative confusion

Post by installer_swan »

Page 46, Exercise 107, end of chapter XV.
The sencence :The Germans, with (their) sons and daughters, are hastening with horses and wagons. is translated as :Germani cum filiis filiabusque cum equis et carris properant/maturant. in the answer key.

:?: Why is the cum used? I interpreted the English sentence as: The Germans along with their sons and daughters are fleeing by means of horses and wagons. So doesn't that make the equis et carris ablatives of means, which according to D'Ooge should not have a cum preceding them. So shouldn't the second cum be absent in the snetence?

:idea: One explanation I could think of is that the horses and wagons are also ablatives of accompaniment, but why not means? :? Could someone please help me out here.

Shanth

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

I suppose it could be either, but yours makes more sense and doesn't have the somewhat awkward repetition of cum.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

installer_swan
Textkit Neophyte

Post by installer_swan »

Thanks. By the way when would it be best to start reading a proper(?) Latin text, after finishing D'Ooge completely or after a sufficient number of lessons. If so, which text should I start with?

Shanth

cweb255
Textkit Fan

Post by cweb255 »

Of course, once again, the novice shows the complete uselessness of the word "cum" for ablatives. I sometimes forget why it's even there?

Oh yeah, there might be this rare occasion when you can't figure out whether or not they're saying with or by. Wait a minute...

Start off with Eutropius.

Deses
Textkit Fan

Re: Ablative confusion

Post by Deses »

installer_swan wrote:Page 46, Exercise 107, end of chapter XV.
The sencence :The Germans, with (their) sons and daughters, are hastening with horses and wagons. is translated as :Germani cum filiis filiabusque cum equis et carris properant/maturant. in the answer key.

Shanth
This may be the case when different classes of objects are set apart syntactically. Good style, I suppose. A result of the opposite was given once by a recently retired Canadian born TV personality: "their heads filled with shrapnel and memories of war..."
<a href="http://www.inrebus.com"> In Rebus: Latin quotes and phrases; Latin mottos; Windows interface for Latin Words </a>