Question Words

Are you learning Latin with D'Ooge's Beginners Latin Book? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback and comments from others.
masuro
Textkit Neophyte

Question Words

Post by masuro »

In Lesson VII of D'Ooge we are asked to translate the sentence, "Where does the farmer live?"

I wrote, 'Agricola ubi habitat?' but the answer key says, 'Ubi agricola habitat?'

I know Latin word order isn't set in stone but what about questions? Must the question word come at the beginning of a sentence?

installer_swan
Textkit Neophyte

Post by installer_swan »

I think D'Ooge mentions somewhere that in questions the question word occurs first in a sentence usually.

Agricola ubi habitat? lay more stress on the agricola it is more like :[]b Where does the farmer live?[/b]

Shanth

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

That word order is often seen in poetry, but it is quite odd in most other cases to have the interrogative come afterwards, even when emphasis is desired.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

masuro
Textkit Neophyte

Post by masuro »

Thanks for your help. I'll stick to keeping the question word first unless I feel poetic. :)