Lesson 39 -page 19

Are you learning Latin with D'Ooge's Beginners Latin Book? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback and comments from others.
CClements
Textkit Neophyte

Lesson 39 -page 19

Post by CClements »

part 1 number 11 has..

Ferae terrarum pugnant

I translated it as
"The beasts fight the land " (admittedly makes no sense)

the Key has
"the wild beasts of the lands are fighting"

I think I know where I went wrong, "terrarum" is Gen. plural , so it is basically saying "the beasts belong to the lands"

my odd ball translation would be for-
Ferae terras pugnant

Chris

masuro
Textkit Neophyte

Post by masuro »

I think "The beasts fight the land" would be ferae terram pugnant, since 'the land' is the accusative singular here.

The genative (and ablative and dative ^^) is still a little bit confusing for me. I'm glad I'm not the only one. :)

CClements
Textkit Neophyte

Post by CClements »

masuro wrote:
The genative (and ablative and dative ^^) is still a little bit confusing for me. I'm glad I'm not the only one. :)
As am I , I am starting to get what Gen etc are, Still tough to point where they are in a sentance :)

I feel your pain
Chris

CClements
Textkit Neophyte

Post by CClements »

I forgot to say thank you!!

thank you masuro, I see what you mean terra, is accusitive singular in that context. I was in a rather dense fog of confusion when I wrote that :lol:.

somebody once said " you never learn if you are right all the time"

I must be learning alot :wink:

Chris

masuro
Textkit Neophyte

Post by masuro »

You and me both. ^^

It's great that we are both at about the same point in D'ooge. We can help each other.