Declension

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Declension

Post by Keesa »

I was wondering...when you take a verb and write out the conjugations, you "conjugate the verb." When you write out the declensions of a Latin noun, would you say that you "declined the noun"? (And if it's all the same with you, I'd prefer to accept it... ;)) <br /><br />Keesa

annis
Textkit Zealot

Re:Declension

Post by annis »

[quote author=Keesa link=board=6;threadid=368;start=0#2780 date=1060086033]<br /> When you write out the declensions of a Latin noun, would you say that you "declined the noun"? (And if it's all the same with you, I'd prefer to accept it... ;)) <br />[/quote]<br /><br />Yes.<br /><br />Mark Twain, I think, once quipped he'd rather decline a few German beers than a single German noun.<br />
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

[quote author=William Annis link=board=6;threadid=368;start=0#2781 date=1060086360]<br /><br />Mark Twain, I think, once quipped he'd rather decline a few German beers than a single German noun.<br /><br />[/quote]<br /><br />I always knew Mark Twain was an intelligent person... ;) <br /><br />Thanks for your help. <br /><br />Keesa

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

[quote author=William Annis link=board=3;threadid=368;start=0#2781 date=1060086360]<br /><br />Yes.<br /><br />Mark Twain, I think, once quipped he'd rather decline a few German beers than a single German noun.<br /><br />[/quote]<br /><br />HAH ;D Their beers come in litres :o