Pharr para 107 line2

Are you reading Homeric Greek? Whether you are a total beginner or an advanced Homerist, here you can meet kindred spirits. Besides Homer, use this board for all things early Greek poetry.
Bert
Textkit Zealot

Pharr para 107 line2

Post by Bert »

My question is concerning the subject of [size=150]δηθύνει in <br />[size=150])αγαμέμνων οὐ κιχήσεται γεροντα παρὰ κοίλῃσι νηυσίν, οὐ γὰρ δηθύνει ὲν στρατῷ )αχαιῶν <br />Agamemnon will not overtake the old man by the hollow(empty?) ships, for he did not loiter in the camp of the Achaeans.<br />If I take Agamemnon as the subject of both overtake and loiter, the sentence does not make sense. It would follow logically that he did not overtake him if he did loiter.<br />In the case of dependent clauses starting with [size=150]ἵνα or [size=150]ὅτι the subject is different from the one in the main sentence. Is this the case here? Does [size=150]γάρ also introduce a dependent clause? Then the old man would be the subject of loiter, and the sentence makes good sense.<br />Thanks in advance.

Paul
Textkit Zealot

Re:Pharr para 107 line2

Post by Paul »

There is in the meaning of the sentence a kind of subordination of ideas: it is because the old man doesn't tarry that he is not overtaken by Agamemnon.<br />The second idea (not tarrying) explains the first idea (not overtaken). Such subordination suggests that we are in the realm of the complex sentence. So from a semantic perspective it does indeed seem that [size=150]γάρ is introducing a dependent clause.<br /><br />But from a formal perspective, [size=150]γάρ is a particle that can function as a causal, coordinating conjunction; what Smyth calls " Causal [size=150]γάρ ". Coordination by means of such a conjunction places us in the realm of the compound sentence. In compound sentences there is no subordinate (dependent) clause.<br /><br />So, "Does [size=150]γάρ also introduce a dependent clause?" I guess my answer is it depends on the perspective. Mind you, I am not trying to be clever. I really find this problematic. The ideas of the sentence so readily conform to a kind of subordination which makes the second clause dependent. But [size=150]γάρ is supposed to be a coordinating conjunction....<br /><br />I'd very much like to know what others have to say.<br /><br />Cordially,<br /><br />Paul<br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br />

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Skylax »

Bert de Haan wrote:<br />My question is concerning the subject of [size=150]δηθύνει in <br />[size=150])αγαμέμνων οὐ κιχήσεται γεροντα παρὰ κοίλῃσι νηυσίν, οὐ γὰρ δηθύνει ὲν στρατῷ )αχαιῶν <br />Agamemnon will not overtake the old man by the hollow(empty?) ships, for he did not loiter in the camp of the Achaeans.<br />
<br /><br />"hollow" here is an "Homeric attribute" (if you call it so). It is maybe opposing "real" sea going ships to rafts...<br /><br />The subject of [size=150]δηθύνει is obviously the old man. But it emerges from the context.<br /><br />
<br />In the case of dependent clauses starting with [size=150]ἵνα or [size=150]ὅτι the subject is different from the one in the main sentence.
<br /><br />I've never heard of such a tendency...<br /><br />See for example Plato, Republic, 426d:<br />[size=150]ὅσοι οἴονται πολιτικοὶ εἶναι ὅτι ἐπαινοῦνται ὑπὸ τῶν πολλῶν<br />"...those who (...) suppose themselves to be in truth statesmen because they are praised by the many."<br /><br />The subject is the same for both verbs.<br />Can you provide some more information?<br /><br />[size=150]ἔρρωσο

Ptolemaios
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Ptolemaios »

The problem is: even Pharr is not a native speaker. The subject of [size=150]δηθύνει can (logically) be no other than the old man. But I think that in real Greek such a topic shift (from Agamemnon to the old man) would have been marked in some way.<br /><br />[size=150]εὔχομαι σε ἐρρῶσθαι<br /><br />Ptolemaios

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

(skylax)<br />In the case of dependent clauses starting with [size=150]ἵνα or [size=150]ὅτι the subject is different from the one in the main sentence.
<br /> <br />I've never heard of such a tendency...<br /><br />I didn't say that right. It is possible for the subject to be the same, but because it can be a different one, you don't look for the main subject in the dependent clause. <br /> English examples;1. If I work hard, I get a sore back.<br /> 2. If I work hard, my children can eat three meals per day.<br /><br />I don't want to assume that after [size=150]γάρ the subject can change, because then I am making my own grammar rules. I am barely able to abide by someone else's rules, let alone make up my own as I go.<br /><br />Thanks for the replies.<br /><br /><br />

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

[quote author=Bert de Haan link=board=2;threadid=356;start=0#2717 date=1060004868]<br />I don't want to assume that after [size=150]γάρ the subject can change, because then I am making my own grammar rules.<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Ahah! I found it.<br /><br />It is true that you cannot assume that the subject has changed when you see [size=150]γάρ. But I did know this, but I only now found the reference. Smyth 1112 says, "[size=150]ὁ δέ, ἡ δέ, τὸ δέ (without a preceding [size=150]μέν clause) often means but (or and) he, she, this. In the nominative the person referred to is usually different from the subject of the main verb: [size=150]κῦρος δίδωσιν αὐτῷ μυρίους δαρεικούς· ὁ δὲ λαβὼν τὸ χρυσίον κ.τ.λ. Cyrus gives him (Clearchus) 10,000 darics; and he taking the money... etc."
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

Ptolemaios
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Ptolemaios »

[quote author=William Annis link=board=2;threadid=356;start=0#3334 date=1060528596]<br /><br />Smyth 1112 says, "[size=150]ὁ δέ, ἡ δέ, τὸ δέ (without a preceding [size=150]μέν clause) often means but (or and) he, she, this. In the nominative the person referred to is usually different from the subject of the main verb: [size=150]κῦρος δίδωσιν αὐτῷ μυρίους δαρεικούς· ὁ δὲ λαβὼν τὸ χρυσίον κ.τ.λ. Cyrus gives him (Clearchus) 10,000 darics; and he taking the money... etc."<br />[/quote]<br /><br />I think this should be: is usually different from the preceding topic. The particle [size=150]δέ is a sign of what is called 'topic shift' (topic as a technical term from functional linguistics). Though the main verb of the [size=150]ὁ δὲ λαβὼν τὸ χρυσίον κ.τ.λ isn't cited, my guess is that this is not a subordinate clause with (is that the right preposition?) the preceding sentence, so in this case de can't signal that the subject is different from the main subject.<br />The article to read on this subject is by Egbert Bakker (I can't remember any further bibliographical data)<br /><br />[size=150]εὔχομαι σε ἐρρῶσθαι<br /><br />Ptolemaios