Textkit Logo

Proper Names

Here's where you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Proper Names

Postby amans » Mon Nov 22, 2004 6:58 pm

Hi all

I am a relative newbie to Greek and I am a bit confused about the use of the definite article in relation to proper names. I don't think I've seen the definite article used thus in any modern language: The Harry? Le Jacques? Well, actually the Germans do use it to some extent as in Die Asta, and the Italians do it, too, except it has a specific meaning, I think.

But back to Greek. Do you always use the definite article with proper names in Greek? Is it so with all proper names or only some proper names, e.g. names of famous people or gods or well known places...?

Cheers :D
amans
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby chad » Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:34 pm

hi Amans, in Smyth's greek grammar it says

§1136. Names of persons and places are individual and therefore omit the article unless previously mentioned (1120 b) or specially marked as well known

You can read the full section here with lots more details:

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/pt ... d%3D%23334
chad
Textkit Zealot

Postby amans » Tue Nov 23, 2004 3:45 pm

hi Chad,

Thanks a bunch for your help. So I guess [face=spionic](o Kroi=soj[/face] would mean "this Croesus we've been speaking of" or "Croesus (who is as we all know a famous king of Lydia)" whereas [face=spionic]Kroi=soj[/face] might just mean a person by this name...

Anyway, I'll check out your reference and see what the wise Smyth says :D
amans
Textkit Enthusiast

Return to Learning Greek