starting again, learning accurately

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Kebes
Textkit Neophyte

starting again, learning accurately

Post by Kebes »

hello

new here, but not entirely new to greek and latin.
i am a student of philosophy, currently working on my diploma thesis (on Plato and Aristotle), and therefore decided that it is about time to not only refresh my greek, but also to start anew in learning it accurately again. i took a one semester course (well, actually it was a two semester course, but i only did the first part...), learning basic greek (with german textbooks and grammar), but i feel not confident that it is sufficent at all... i really want to be able to actually read a greek text without eyeing the translation all the time. it is not the problem of vocabulary, but rather grammar. so, is starting with White´s book a good idea for "refreshing" my greek?

oh, and i also like latin, of course! although i don´t need it for my work at the moment for primary texts, i very well can use it for secondary texts. also need some "refreshing" here.

greetings,
kebes

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Hi!

Where are you studying Philosophy? :)

I think you should be able to quickly revise you Greek with White's book, just revise all the declinations (draw up a small sheet with all the various declinations on, you'll learn more if you copy them down yourself) and do the same for all the conjugations. You can also use these sheets for quick reference later. Then I'd revise all the aorist IIs (starke Aoriste) as they can be really useful and the uses of conjunctive and optative.
Hope that helped a bit...

Kebes
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Kebes »

hi Emma85, thanks for the reply. the answer is vienna. i asked also because the available downloads are, umh, rather ancient works (which does not mean they´re bad - on the contrary :) ), and i was a bit confused by the large amount of different courses. problem is that i cannot spend lot of time now revising, i will have to do it bit-by-bit, probaby along with my study of Plato´s Tiamaios.

kebes