I was about to buy a Wheelcock...

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

I was about to buy a Wheelcock...

Post by Episcopus »

On ebay, I was about to purchase a glossy Wheelock textbook. <br /><br />But then, I thought: NO! <br /><br />I read one book. One book only. <br /><br />a) "Latin For Beginners" has not only taught me everything I currently know but it has also taught me to accept Latin despite its relative difficulty. I owe all to textkit and Dr. B.L.D<br /><br />b) Even touching a Wheelcock book would be worse than adultery. I want to finish "Latin For Beginners" and say "This book has taught me everything I know" (in Latin, of course).<br /><br />c) I haven't exactly an abundance of paper. <br /><br />d) "Wheelcock" -what kind of name is that?!<br /><br />The point of this post? Study only one course with great zeal. <br />Touch not another book. Especially not that of some random guy named Wheelcock. <br /><br /> <br /><br />

mariek
Global Moderator

Re:I was about to buy a Wheelcock...

Post by mariek »

<br /> 8) The Ten Commandments according to Episcopus 8)<br /><br />1. You shall not worship any other God than Dr. Benjamin L. D'Ooge.<br /><br />2. You shall not study Latin with any book other than those written by Dr. Benjamin L. D'Ooge.<br /><br />3. You shall not take the name of Dr. Benjamin L. D'Ooge in vain.<br /><br />4. You shall not touch a Wheelock book.<br /><br />5. You shall not dishonour Dr. Benjamin L. D'Ooge.<br /><br />6. You shall not destroy any works of Dr. Benjamin L. D'Ooge.<br /><br />7. You shall not print or buy any Latin textbooks which are not written by Dr. Benjamin L. D'Ooge.<br /><br />8. You shall diligently study Latin every day.<br /><br />9. You shall not make false statements about Dr. Benjamin L. D'Ooge or any of his works.<br /><br />10. You shall not covet any other Latin books which are not written by Dr. Benjamin L. D'Ooge.<br /><br /><br />

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

hey, we could start a cult.
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

[quote author=klewlis link=board=6;threadid=354;start=0#2606 date=1059943939]<br />hey, we could start a cult.<br />[/quote]<br /><br />I agree - we could meet in Ypsilanti (home to Eastern Michigan University) once a year.<br /><br />Episcopus - do we need a d'ooge board ;D<br /><br />jeff
Textkit Founder

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

[quote author=jeff link=board=6;threadid=354;start=0#2617 date=1059950904]<br />[quote author=klewlis link=board=6;threadid=354;start=0#2606 date=1059943939]<br />hey, we could start a cult.<br />[/quote]<br /><br />I agree - we could meet in Ypsilanti (home to Eastern Michigan University) once a year.<br /><br />Episcopus - we do need a d'ooge board ;D<br /><br />jeff<br />[/quote]<br /><br />yay even jeff says so ;D <br /><br />I would go to Michigan, but (watches Bowling for columbine)...I can't afford it...

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

[quote author=jeff link=board=6;threadid=354;start=0#2617 date=1059950904]<br />[quote author=klewlis link=board=6;threadid=354;start=0#2606 date=1059943939]<br />hey, we could start a cult.<br />[/quote]<br /><br />I agree - we could meet in Ypsilanti (home to Eastern Michigan University) once a year.<br /><br />Episcopus - do we need a d'ooge board ;D<br /><br />jeff<br />[/quote]<br /><br />umm... let me clarify...<br />we need one to keep your D'oogism in one place! ;) I don't know what's going to happen when I post De Bello Gallico ;D
Textkit Founder

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

[quote author=Episcopus link=board=6;threadid=354;start=0#2601 date=1059941506]<br />On ebay, I was about to purchase a glossy Wheelock textbook. <br /><br />But then, I thought: NO! <br /><br />I read one book. One book only. <br /><br />a) "Latin For Beginners" has not only taught me everything I currently know but it has also taught me to accept Latin despite its relative difficulty. I owe all to textkit and Dr. B.L.D<br /><br />The more Latin resources you study, the greater and more diverse your knowledge will be :-/<br /><br />b) Even touching a Wheelcock book would be worse than adultery. I want to finish "Latin For Beginners" and say "This book has taught me everything I know" (in Latin, of course).<br /><br /> ::) <br /><br />c) I haven't exactly an abundance of paper. <br /><br />All the better reason not to have to print D'ooge!<br /><br />d) "Wheelcock" -what kind of name is that?!<br /><br />What kind of name is Dooge? :P<br /><br />The point of this post? Study only one course with great zeal. <br />Touch not another book. Especially not that of some random guy named Wheelcock. <br /><br />Frighteningly zealous as usual...<br /><br /><br />[/quote]
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Nihil
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Nihil »

Can't we all just get along? :P

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Aw, he knows I love him ;)
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Nihil
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Nihil »

I have to agree that he is zealous in his support for Dr. D'ooge. I also believe that he's planning on becoming the bishop of a new D'ooge-centered religion wherein all students of Latin must burn all their textbooks and prostrate themselves before the book of D'ooge, swearing it at their sole guidance. :o<br /><br /><br />I can see him soon dressed as a bishop and reading from his writings on D'ooge. All around him will hear him proclaim in a loud voice, "Blessed is he who reads from his D'ooge book; the glory of Latin expertise shall be his!"<br /><br />Hey, could be entertaining to watch if nothing else. <br /><br />Just kidding with you, Episcopus. ;)

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=jeff link=board=6;threadid=354;start=0#2617 date=1059950904]<br />I agree - we could meet in Ypsilanti (home to Eastern Michigan University) once a year. [/quote]<br /><br />Why Michigan? Let's go somewhere warmer... Rome?

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=jeff link=board=6;threadid=354;start=0#2621 date=1059952535]<br />I don't know what's going to happen when I post De Bello Gallico ;D [/quote]<br /><br />What's De Bello Gallico? <br />

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

[quote author=mariek link=board=6;threadid=354;start=0#2654 date=1059980352]<br />[quote author=jeff link=board=6;threadid=354;start=0#2621 date=1059952535]<br />I don't know what's going to happen when I post De Bello Gallico ;D [/quote]<br /><br />What's De Bello Gallico? <br /><br />[/quote]<br /><br />Hail Caesar!<br /><br />De=about<br /><br />Bellum=war<br /><br />Gallicus/-a/-um=Gallic (of Gaul, modern day France)

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=benissimus link=board=6;threadid=354;start=0#2659 date=1059981162]<br />Gallicus/-a/-um=Gallic (of Gaul, modern day France) [/quote]<br /><br />Gaul is France?!?!?! All this time, when I've been doing my exercises which refer to gallia or Gallus, I've been thinking this referred to a German! :o

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

Julius Caesar's book On the Gallic War as edited and commented on by you know who.<br /><br />I assume Ypsilanti was where the good doctor taught before shuflling off this mortal coil.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Episcopus, you shouldn't make fun of the names of the deceased :o

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

[quote author=bingley link=board=6;threadid=354;start=0#2665 date=1059981719]<br />Julius Caesar's book On the Gallic War as edited and commented on by you know who.<br /><br />I assume Ypsilanti was where the good doctor taught before shuflling off this mortal coil.<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Yes, he taught at Michigan Normal College which is now Eastern University of Michigan. The school is a few hours drive from me. I believe he had a brother who also taught classics in the Michigan area. D'Ooge taught Greek and Latin for over 50 years - quite an accomplishment.
Textkit Founder

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

[quote author=jeff link=board=6;threadid=354;start=0#2621 date=1059952535]<br /> I don't know what's going to happen when I post De Bello Gallico ;D<br />[/quote]<br /><br />De Bello Gallico-in Latin, or English?

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

well I'd still like a textkit field trip to the Vatican.

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito »

[quote author=mariek link=board=6;threadid=354;start=0#2663 date=1059981576]<br />[quote author=benissimus link=board=6;threadid=354;start=0#2659 date=1059981162]<br />Gallicus/-a/-um=Gallic (of Gaul, modern day France) [/quote]<br /><br />Gaul is France?!?!?! All this time, when I've been doing my exercises which refer to gallia or Gallus, I've been thinking this referred to a German! :o <br />[/quote]<br />NO!!! Germanicus = German! Gallicus = Gallic = French! (Well, Celtic, but that's a loooooooong story....)<br /><br />Go have a hunt for a book called "Axterix the Gaul", and then "Asterix and the Goths", (and "Asterix the Legionary", and ... well, you get the idea - there are over 30 of them....) and you will:<br /><br />a) learn about the Gauls;<br />b) learn about many other ancient peoples;<br />c) have opportunity to practise some of your Latin; and<br />d) have many good laughs.<br /><br />Actually, they are a very funny series, originally published in French, but translated to a LOT of different languages. They were my first exposure to French, to Latin, and to Roman society... (which is scarey, since you can't exactly say that the Romans are portrayed as brilliant in them.....) and can be identified as the origin of my classics interest..... They are shot through with all sorts of allusions to history and literature (eg: Julius Caesar is a frequent character, as is Brutus, and Julius keeps saying "Et tu, Brute....") which add to the amusement.<br /><br />Kilmeny

ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ingrid70 »

[quote author=Milito link=board=6;threadid=354;start=15#2848 date=1060109203]<br />Go have a hunt for a book called "Axterix the Gaul", and then "Asterix and the Goths", (and "Asterix the Legionary", and ... well, you get the idea - there are over 30 of them....) and you will:<br /><br />a) learn about the Gauls;<br />b) learn about many other ancient peoples;<br />c) have opportunity to practise some of your Latin; and<br />d) have many good laughs.<br /><br />Kilmeny<br />[/quote]<br /><br />They're classic! I love the ones with Caesar in them. Like the scene where Brutus is playing with a knife, and Caesar tells him to put it away, 'one day you'll hurt someone with it'. In the next picture, you see Brutus with a bandage around his finger :).<br /><br />Ingrid

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito »

[quote author=ingrid70 link=board=6;threadid=354;start=15#2856 date=1060112820]<br /><br />They're classic! I love the ones with Caesar in them. Like the scene where Brutus is playing with a knife, and Caesar tells him to put it away, 'one day you'll hurt someone with it'. In the next picture, you see Brutus with a bandage around his finger :).<br /><br />Ingrid<br />[/quote]<br /><br />The pirates are some of my favorite characters.... and the way "Alea jacta est" is tossed in anywhere and everywhere by everyone conceivable..... (Caesar walking off to do something or other saying "Oh well, alea jacta est as I always say.....")<br /><br />Kilmeny

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=Milito link=board=6;threadid=354;start=15#2848 date=1060109203]Go have a hunt for a book called "Axterix the Gaul", and then "Asterix and the Goths", (and "Asterix the Legionary", and ... well, you get the idea - there are over 30 of them....) [/quote]<br /><br />Thanks for the recommendation. I did a search on "Asterix" on Amazon and it came up with 407 results! It's a comic book, right? Is the Latin version relatively easy to read? I mean, is it simple enough that someone at my level can read it? <br />

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

You're probably not quite ready yet, mariek. The language is quite sophisticated -- and full of multi-lingual wordplay. They are great language learning tools though. They were amongst the first Indonesian books I read unaided (apart from trusty dictionary of course).

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=bingley link=board=6;threadid=354;start=15#2892 date=1060129843]<br />You're probably not quite ready yet, mariek. The language is quite sophisticated -- and full of multi-lingual wordplay.[/quote]<br /><br />I love word play, but it'll be no fun unless I "get" it. I'll hold off on picking up one of these books. <br /><br />How many different languages has Asterix been translated into?<br />

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

107, if you include 27 different German dialects. Here's a link to a page about the Latin version: <br /><br />http://www.asterix-obelix.nl/manylanguages/latin.htm<br /><br />Asterix has been translated into modern Greek, but not, alas, Ancient Greek.

Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carola »

What kind of name is "Ypsilanti "? Is there really such a place? <br />Anyhow, I'm definitely a C E Bennett fan. But now I might go back and check out Mr D'Ooge, maybe I'll even convert!

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=Carola link=board=6;threadid=354;start=#2910 date=1060151062]<br />What kind of name is "Ypsilanti "? Is there really such a place? [/quote]<br /><br />Well, whadya know... http://ypsilanti.org/.<br />Click on Getting Around and you'll see a small map.<br /><br />Eastern Michigan University... http://www.emich.edu. Though the site isn't loading for me right now. :( (although I can get to their Math site, http://www.math.emich.edu/)<br /><br />Classical Studies at EMU... http://www.holoka.com/.<br /><br />

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

:o 27 German dialects I thought there to be only North and South German :o<br /><br />Or was that East and West damn wall :D<br /><br />Asterix and Obelix what is the deal with those? I have heard of them vaguely but again never bothered to find out...<br /><br />I'll go to France this summer and it is supposedly the legendary home of Asterix and Obelix ??? <br />It's somewhere in britanny

Ptolemaios
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Ptolemaios »

[quote author=bingley link=board=6;threadid=354;start=15#2909 date=1060149968]<br />107, if you include 27 different German dialects. Here's a link to a page about the Latin version: <br /><br />http://www.asterix-obelix.nl/manylanguages/latin.htm<br /><br />Asterix has been translated into modern Greek, but not, alas, Ancient Greek.<br />[/quote]<br /><br />It has been translated in Ancient Greek too! I've got a copy of Asterix and the Olympic Games; not sure if there are more, though.<br /><br />Ptolemaios

vinobrien
Textkit Member

Post by vinobrien »

I think "Asterix and the Olympic Games" is the only one in Attic and I've not been able to track down a copy yet. My wife got me "Asterix Gallus" for my birthday and it is funnier than the English version I have. I have lots of Asterix in English, French and German and every one is great - they just seem to translate so well.

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito »

[quote author=mariek link=board=6;threadid=354;start=15#2865 date=1060117856]<br /><br />Thanks for the recommendation. I did a search on "Asterix" on Amazon and it came up with 407 results! It's a comic book, right? Is the Latin version relatively easy to read? I mean, is it simple enough that someone at my level can read it? <br /><br />[/quote]<br /><br />Pick up the English version. Even if only through a library. They are classic. They are, even in English, interspersed with Latin, which you can usually figure out from context (or ask someone here.... ;D) And they are truly funny.<br /><br />Kilmeny